View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 01:49 AM   #23
Portiere
Mascot

We draw a pretty absurd group: Bayern Munich, Barcelona, and Basel (ok, that could have been worse).

We start with Bayern away at the Allianz Arena. Jan Skoda sets up Geraldo Santos for an early goal and we hang on as Bayern hits the post and our goalkeeping saves us. Next is Barcelona at home. We play them off the pitch 4-0, 23 shots to 12 and equal possession. I'm starting to think that we could actually win the thing. Two goals from Ales Berka and one each from Elton and Alejandro Sosa on set pieces. Our away match against Basel brings us down to earth. They grab an early goal, and while Santos quickly equalizes, we can't seem to manage a second until Daniel Barisic saves us from disaster in the 80th minute. 2-1.

Against Basel at home, we get three goals from the wings, as Havlik puts in 2 and Gunares a 3rd. We let in a silly late goal but 3-1 is good enough. We have now advanced to the 2nd round.

We start off like a dream against Bayern at home-Barisic scores a fanatic goal, then Sosa puts in a corner and we are 2-0 up after 10 minutes. Then Sosa picks up two yellow cards in 3 minutes and we will play the rest of the match with 10 from 13 minutes. Bayern smells blood but John Green (in for an injured Bolte) stands on his head, then Briers scores from the midfield and its 3-0 at halftime. Barisic scores again and we win 4-0. We've already won the group but face Barca at Camp Nou. We win comfortably, 3-1, with goals from Berka (2) and Gunaris before they manage a late consolation.

6W 0L 17GF 3 GA 18 points. Domination. But will it mean anything at all in the knockout rounds? After reaching the quarters in 2026, we went to the Europa in 27 and 28, w were bounced by Athletico in 29 and 31, and managed a return to the quarters to fail against Monaco in 30 on the last play of the match. Except in 2030, we haven't accomplished much at all in the Spring.

Except away to Bayern we have dominated everyone, and our upgrades on the wing and in goal have been noticeable. Will it be enough, at least for a big run? I'm losing patience with the project, and wonder if a Championship level budget will be enough for a title? (the top teams are spending 33-44 million pounds/year on wages, most of the rest are between 10-16. By comparison, we are at 24, which would put us 8th in the Championship. Ipswich, the lowest spenders in the EPL, are on 49 million pounds/year). With the exception of this year, I generally run a surplus in the transfer market, and my splurge means I will again need to sell if I want to buy anything at all...

Indeed, I have basically no transfer budget to speak us. Joseph Bull has lost his place in the 25 and some other players go out, mostly to balance the budget. I bringing a Polish wonderkid CB who is captied for the CL--our time will remain the same in the knockout round.

Last edited by Portiere : 05-16-2020 at 01:50 AM.
Portiere is offline   Reply With Quote