View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #418
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Today, Group C, we are proud to present the Republic of South Africa

vs.

Italy

Italy are no joke, they are a serious threat. They are not past their heydey, they instead have some great young talent they've tapped into. They are serious.

Now it’s time for the Italy game. Can we beat Italy? We’ve gotten a lot of positive press for resting our starting squad vs France from commentators and other managers. I wanted any edge I could get against them. All of the pressure is on them!!! I begin defensively. We’ve also been getting good press about not being afraid to change tactics when it was needed, and I moved to a 3-5-2 successfully. Italy scores once in the 21st and that’s it for the first half. We didn’t take a single shot though in the game. That has to change. I’m not sure how. How can I open up our offense and keep us taking shots? I move to control for a bit coming out of the break. Afte ra quiet ten minute I move back to counter. Mokotjo grabs a booking early in the second. I pull him as my firs sub. It’s getting late in the match in the mid 70s. I order us to increase our tempo. We’ have 5 shots, 2 on target in this half. If we can sink just one… Another of our players collects a yellow. Yet another Italian attack is turned aside and we get a break away opportunity, but our cross is snuffed out by their GK. I sub out Parker. My final sub is Mzizi for a tired and underplaying DC. Move to control. Late in the 89th, winger Lebese (who I subbed in for Parker) intercepts the ball and gives it to Rantie who is driving on a break away. He passes to ST Mphela, who is tackled by the defense. Ball falls to their FB, but Serero on the left side fires through and steals the ball from the FB and has just the GK to beat on a tighter corner coming into the box. He shoots…..pushed aside…corner kick. Great move by us though. And that’s it, we lose 1-0. You gave it everything you had lads!!!

And you did!

But for us, this run ends. The best the nation has ever had though!

Congrats l'Afrique, for a strong run!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote