View Single Post
Old 03-07-2023, 09:03 AM   #257
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks. I actually did look in the Trump thread but not in the post-election Trump thread. I had a brain fart and should have looked at the other thread. My fault and thank you.

So for ease of reference if & when this discussion comes back.

Your rationale why the SSN gap (circa 2034) is not an imminent crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
It's not a crisis. The program has been modified several times over its history to shore up its long-term financial health.

If it's 2030 and the actuarial projections still show depletion in 2034 and the GOP still has functional control over Congress then it will be a crisis.

But it is not a real crisis right now. It's a manufactured crisis, done so to allow the GOP to put forward proposals that will definitely result in its long-term demise. Which was the original point of this tangent.

Stop being so credulous when reading headlines, Edward.

And my rationale

Quote:
The crisis is the bi-partisanship negotiations that will eventually happen, agree on, and the pain(s) some groups will have to feel. There is no solution(s) that have been proposed that will not have significant political fallout. And with political fallout, there is the natural tendency to kick the can down the road and special interests participating.

This will happen, there is not may or may not happen. And it won't be easy, hence "imminent" (going to happen soon) and "crisis" (lots of pain involved)
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote