View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #108
sabotai
General Manager

1924 In Review

Clearly the best year to date. Most years have 2 or 3 20+ total rated movies, this year had 7 (out of 8). Perhaps it is the sign of the times. Since movies had really started taking off in the early 20's, it makes sense that with so many more movies being made, the several I would choose for this year would be better than in previous years (since the sample size would be so much larger). Also, again with movies becoming so popular, moviemakes got better at writing movie scenes and directing them, so the quality of movies got so much better.

Or maybe it was just a really great year for movies and in 1925, things come back down. Maybe I just happened to pick (Netflix just happened to have) the kinds of movies I would enjoy for this year. Maybe I need to get tougher in my reviews. Time will tell.

The Movies of 1924
The Navigator - 25
Sherlock, Jr - 24
Aelita - 22
The Last Laugh - 21
Thief of Bagdad - 21
The Marriage Circle - 21
Girl Shy - 20
Mikael - 14

1925 (11 Movies)
Tumbleweeds - Western
Wizard of Oz - Fantasy
The Lost World - Fantasy
Strike (Strachka) - Drama / Russia
Ben-Hur - Epic Drama
Don Q, Son of Zorro - Adventure
Seven Chances - Comedy
The Gold Rush - Comedy
Battleship Potemkin - Drama / Russia
The Phantom of the Opera - Drama / Horror
The Freshman - Comedy

EDIT: Just saw that it's been almost a year since I started this. 7 more days. Technically it probably has been more than year since I watched several DVDs before I started. But either way, I made it through roughly 45 years of film over the last year. The journey started in 1883. The first 20 years were overviewed briefly in my first post (can't say too much about movies that only last several seconds each). Then the next 25 years took us from movies that lasted several minutes, including the classic "The Great Train Robbery" and "A Trip To The Moon", to the dawn of the feature length movie in the mid 1910s.

I'm about to watch the 1925 version of The Wizard Of Oz. Hopefully by this time next year, I'll be reviewing the 1939 version. The journey has been a slow one over the last several months. Sometimes it takes a bit of work to get through a silent movie. Here and there, I've taken some long breaks. I suspect it'll pick up more when I get to the dawn of sound, and I won't feel the need to take as many breaks and not take them for quite so long.

Last edited by sabotai : 07-23-2007 at 09:01 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote