View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 11:29 PM   #125
sabotai
General Manager

The Phantom of the Opera (1925)

(full movie - got to love public domain!)

Directed By: Rupert Julian
Starring: Lon Chaney, Mary Philbin, Norman Kerry
Length: 93 min.
Genre: Horror / Romance
Base On: The Novel "The Phantom of the Opera" by Gaston Leroux

Lon Chaney plays the gruesome Phantom of the Opera. Once again, he does an outstanding job at not only acting, but at the make up. The studio thought so highly of Chanet's work on his makeup, they didn't show it during the trailer. They simply referenced it as something the crowd would not believe.

Plot summery at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pha...281925_film%29

Mary Philbin, I thought, was terrible. She vastly overacted in every scene she was in. Every time they showed her, especially close up, it was a terribly over-acted expression and body movement.

Unfortunately, on the version I saw, it did not have the technicolor sequence in it. Other than that and Philbin's terrible acting, I actually enjoyed this movie. It wasn't "great", but it was enjoyable and I thought I was really not going to like it. Historically, it is probably Chaney's most well-known, at least most reference, movie. We've all seen the Phantom's unmasking a dozen times throughout our lives in various commericals, movies, TV shows, etc.

Entertainment Rating: 7/10
Historical Rating: 9/10

Last edited by sabotai : 12-18-2007 at 11:30 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote