View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
Rawhide
High School Varsity

An NFL Counterfactual - The London Monarchs (1976- )

National Football League plans rapid, daring international expansion.

NEW YORK (AP) - Today the Commissioner of the National Football League, Mr Pete Rozelle, made a startling announcement that signaled the intention of the NFL to increase its number of teams to 32 by the start of the 1976 season.

Six new teams, from five different countries, will swell the number of professional football francises. Currently 26 teams compete in the National Football League, split between the National and American conferences. This has been the arrangement ever since the merger of the NFL and the upstart American Football League.

New teams in the cities of Seattle and Tampa were widely expected, however nobody was prepared for Mr Rozelle's proclamation that franchises were also awarded to Mexico City, Toronto, London and Barcelona....

----

Hayden Appointed London GM

LONDON (AP) - 30 year-old Jack Hayden, a little known assistant at the Green Bay Packers, was today announced as the first general manager of the London Monarchs. With no coaches, no players, and no stadium, the task appears to be quite the monumental challenge.....

---

International teams frozen out of NFL Draft

NEW YORK (AP) - The prospects of the four international sides in the 1976 National Football League season appear to be diminishing rapidly from dismal to utterly hopeless... The London Monarchs, Toronto Huskies, Mexico City Aztecs and Barcelona Dragons were denied the opportunity to participate in this year's draft, denying them access to the brightest prospects from this year's college players.

The commissioner of the NFL, Mr Pete Rozelle, justified his decision on the basis of....

----

'76 Monarchs Home Schedule

Two hundred years ago we lost an entire continent. Now in 1976, we are taking their game back. Become a Monarchs Gold Member today to guarantee preminum seats at all Monarchs games as we take on the Yankees. Let's beat them at their own game!

All Kickoff Times are in GMT

September 12 - at Philadelphia (5:00pm)
September 19 - at Washington (5:00pm)
September 26 - BALTIMORE COLTS (1:00pm)
October 3 - at San Diego Chargers (8:00pm)
October 10 - PITTSBURGH STEELERS (1:00pm)
October 17 - at Houston Oilers (6:00pm)
October 24 - CLEVELAND BROWNS (1:00pm)
October 31 - MIAMI DOLPHINS (1:00pm)

November 7 - at Cincinnati Bengals (5:00pm)
November 14 - DALLAS COWBOYS (1:00pm)
November 28 - at Baltimore Colts (5:00pm)
December 5 - NEW YORK GIANTS (1:00pm)
December 12 - BARCELONA DRAGONS (1:00pm)

December 19 - at Toronto Huskies (5:00pm)
December 26 - HOUSTON OILERS (1:00pm)
January 2 - at Barcelona Dragons (12:00pm)
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.

Last edited by Rawhide : 03-27-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote