View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #32
Rawhide
High School Varsity

The London Monarchs Ring of Honour is inaugurated at the end of the 1982 season, when centre Kent de Ossie becomes the first player to qualify.

The Ring is open to players, current or former, who achieve the following standards as Monarchs:

All Players
- 100 career games started

Quarterbacks
- 25000 passing yards, or 200 passing touchdowns

Running Backs and Receivers
- 10000 yards, or 100 touchdowns

Defensive Players
- 25 interceptions, or 500 tackles, or 50 sacks

Special Teams
- 250 field goals, or 1000 points scored, or 10000 all-purpose yards

The criteria may be tightened or loosened as the years progress, but a player cannot be retrospectively tossed out of the Ring once they are in.

=====

We retain our coaches for another year, despite going 5-11 in consecutive seasons.

This is the Elway/Marino/Young draft coming up. We have the fifth overall pick.

We already have our quarterback though, so we like the look of prospects such as OT Jim Mills, RB Curt Warner, ILB Karl Meckenburg, RB Gary Anderson and WR Henry Ellard.

Foundation Monarchs receiver Marcos Will is released, despite coming off his best season in catching 973 yards and 4 touchdowns. His cap number isn't commensurate with his ratings. Will later signs for the Bengals.

Dave Lewis, who had been given the franchise tag for the last two years, leaves for the Bills. In his place we get Woodrow Lowe from the Chargers and Wilson Whitley from the world champion Seahawks.

Cleveland Elam leaves for the Steelers, while Dick Jauron is released and later signs for the Jets.

We pick up TE Emery Moorehead from the Jets as another offensive option for Montana, and former Chiefs LB Jerry Blanton joins us late in free agency.

So, onto the draft. If quarterbacks don't go 1-2-3 I'll be shocked.

1.01 - Detroit Lions - QB John Elway (17/69)
1.02 - Atlanta Falcons - QB Tony Eason (32/62)
1.03 - Miami Dolphins - QB Dan Marino (25/64)

Some nice real-world parallels with Marino here.

1.04 - Cleveland Browns - RB Curt Warner (50/60)

So, no real decision to make here. We must go defense once again.

1.05 - London Monarchs - ILB Karl Meckenberg (46/83)

Yes!!!!

1.06 - Kansas City Chiefs - QB Jim Kelly (20/69)
1.07 - Atlanta Falcons - CB Darrell Green (51/78)
1.08 - St Louis Cardinals - QB Todd Blackledge (17/42)
1.09 - Barcelona Dragons - WR Henry Ellard (46/69)
1.10 - New York Giants - WR Willie Gault (35/43)

2.04 - FS Terry Kinard (27/63)
3.06 - WR Mike Jones (21/28)
4.05 - RCB Robert Sowell (16/27)
5.04 - RDE Greg Townsend (17/29)
6.03 - C Steve Mott (11/40)
7.05 - RB Van Williams (21/23)

Of these picks, only Kinard and maybe Mott appear to have a future in London.

Foundation Monarchs tackle Mackenzie Gist leaves the club after the draft and joins the Falcons. We sign former Chargers linebacker Rich Wingo.
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote