View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 01:06 PM   #126
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
Fastforward to last night, where he decided to get himself in trouble for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I'm suprised Oliegirl hasn't posted about this yet honestly The teacher gave the kids a pass on Monday homework b/c of Halloween, so last night he had two nights worth of homework to do. Julie asked him about his homework and he'd obviously only done Tuesday night's homework, not Monday's. When Julie asked him about it(just to remind him to get it all done), he told her that he did his homework with his grandmother the night before(he spent the night over there after trick-or-treating). Julie and her mom are real close and they talk multiple times a day, so Julie knew this was a lie. She pressed Atnhony on it and he responded 4 or 5 times with a bigger and bigger lie, enhancing the story and trying to give details about how he did his homework with her. Then when Julie said she'd call 'Grammy' to make sure he broke down and admitted that he'd lied.

She was infuriated, as was I when I got home. We have always made honesty and trust the most important focus with Anthony, and he knows that lying is a *big deal*. Grammy is upset that he used her in his story, so he's in hot water all the way around. He's in some trouble this weekend as a result, but I of course know it'll happen again, but we have to reinforce how important it is to be honest with people, and have to show him that the consequences of lying about something are always worse than what might have happened had he told the truth(in this case, nothing would have happened, he'd have spent 10 more minutes finishing his homework).

I have so been there and done that. Cole (10) went through this (still going). The worst part is not only did he lie, but he knew that I knew the real answer, and yet, he totally refused to admit to the truth. He is quite strong willed and it took at least 2 hours of constant pressure and losing of privleges until he finally relented. There is almost nothing more frustrating as a parent then trying to get him to see that the truth is so much less painful than a lie, that you should do that first. After all that, he still doesn't get it. It is almost like "Damn you! I'll learn my own way." Oh yeah, he and I are going to have some major run ins as he hits his teenage years.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote