View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 10:28 AM   #134
PilotMan
Head Coach

Job Update

As some of you know, we are in tight financial straights. When I started this endeavor almost 6 years ago I had no idea that the state of the aviation industry would be like it is now. This last year, we finally started to make some progress. We had been having some successes with our budgeting and I was making enough money for us to be able to pay all the bills and live under our tight spending restrictions. A little over a month ago, the parent company of the airline that I work for went bankrupt, taking us along into bankruptcy with them. They drastically cut our flying and that has meant that the fleet is shrinking.

A backround in aviation economics goes like this. Captains make about 50% more that first officers. Six years ago, when I started in flight school the average upgrade time was about 2 years. Base pay ranges for first officers are generally between 20-40k, while captains are 55-110k. More of less money can be made depending on your work schedule.

Each aircraft needs 10 pilots to fly. So if you have 50 planes in your fleet you need to have 250 capitains, and 250 first officers. Essetially, if your company is expanding there is upward movement in the seniority list and more job secutity to boot, as there will be more pilots underneath you.

I have not upgraded, and will be starting my 4th year with the company in January. It was something that we were really banking on and the fact that it hasn't already happened has been a hard pill to swallow. We do not own a house, and our 3 boys are rapidly outgrowing out 1150sq foot 3br duplex.

The company is starting off by reducing the number of airplanes by 15. Simply read that is 150 jobs that will be eliminated from the company in the begining. At this point, I am not in danger of losing my job (I started off with about 500 pilots below me), however I can't say that it hasn't crossed my mind.

Along with that the company is ready to impose changes to our work rules, and a pay cut along the lines of 20% for the aircraft that I fly. To top that off for first officers at the 4th year and above the yearly cost of living increase is about one half of one percent. So essentially, each year is a paycut due to inflation. With no good news on the forefront, and no upgrade postition in sight it is putting a strain on our family.

We are now in the position of shrinking our budget even more for the foreseeable future. They say that the aviation businees is not for the weak hearted, and they say that you aren't really a pilot until you are furloughed (fired by still contracted to the company and available to be recalled back to work should they need more workers). I have only one shot at this career, and given the amount of money that I invested to get here(think six figures) I cannot abandon it just yet.

I am having some very difficult times thinking about how unfair this is to my family. I feel like I have let everyone down, as this was a decision that was totally mine, and now I need to live with it.

Negotiations are ongoing and nothing is set in stone yet. Good news may be ono the horizon, but not until we emerge from bankruptcy. Who knows when that will happen. Another terrorist attack, or oil prices staying at 70/barrell could spell the end of it altogether.

Please pray for us in this time of uncertainty.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote