View Single Post
Old 03-10-2022, 08:08 AM   #454
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I swear, you purposefully misstate how dual citizenship works just to torment me.

There's no record in the US of who has citizenship from other countries and no good way to go about getting that information. Then, there's no way for a person in country X to go about renouncing citizenship of country Y. They'd have to go back to the other country and even then it isn't always possible.

Basically everyone that was born on foreign soil or has a foreign national parent has dual citizenship and it makes no difference to the resident country.

You are wrong. Of course the US knows what other country you are from before becoming a US citizen. It is definitely in the computers somewhere at INS. The US just doesn't want nor care enough to pursue it.

You are also wrong about "no way for a person in country X to go about renouncing citizenship of country Y. They'd have to go back to the other country ...". I formally renounced my other citizenship in the US at the other country's embassy. Easy enough to do, fill out a form and hand in that other passport.

You may have a point about China specifically and your child's adoption. But you are wrong when you say "no way" or "no record" in the broader sense.

We've had this discussion before. You think I'm wrong, I know you are wrong from my personal experience.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-10-2022 at 08:10 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote