View Single Post
Old 01-18-2022, 05:07 PM   #380
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, I'm fairly bored with playing football games in Madden, and agitated every time I open my "binder" and see all these fucking 96 Ricky Williams and 96 Derrick Henry cards bought "as investments" only to see them never budget really at all. ugh.

Anyway, my latest f-around scheme has been back to old reliable. I have been seeing lots of good players from early sets get revivals when a new, high-rated version of the player gets released. Presumably, EA is just so cheap that rather than pay two all-time players for their rights, they will just pay for Johnny Unitas and use him in two different promos this season. Makes sense.

Anyway - long story short: I'm betting on a new, great, card coming for Andre Rison

Now, I have detailed here my fascination with him from earlier this year - he was part of the Team Diamonds promo set, one great player from years past from each franchise, and a 25-card set required to complete in order to get the 90-rated card and his lower-rated Power-Up card. Pleas each one gave you a token, and a full set o those tokens got you the coveted 95 Dan Marino every-team card.

I coveted, and got, the Atlanta player 90 WR Andre Rison, in part because he played for the Browns and looked like the best WR out there for my Browns theme team. I remained enchanted as I realized he played for 5-6 teams,making him not only a good player but a really useful card for theme teams.

Fast forward to now. Let's say they come out with a 97 or 98 Rison card sometime ahead. He's a good enough card that he's one many people might want to play, but that he'd also be a must-have for theme team players like me who are running any/some of the various teams he played for.

Many like me will already have the Power Up and the 90 card, and just need training to power that guy up to near-max, and then a copy of the top card to max him out.

But many will have to start from scratch. Meaning they are going to need his 90 card, and there are two ways to get that:

-buy it in the auction house
-create it by completing the still-active Team Diamonds set

So, in anticipation of this happening, I have been doing two obvious things:

-buying multiple copies of all the component cards for the Rison set

-creating copies of the 90 card to have on hand (thins out the binder and has me nimble)

So, that is me spending money. However, there's another wrinkle that's not too obvious:

-When I am buying low-end cards, i fairly often buy the entire group for sale... that 75 rated card that has a fair value of, say, 1,000 coins... I'm buying not only the 850 and the 900 but then the 1,100 and the 1350 too. And no there are no copies left so...

-I am posting one or more of my copies for sale at inflated prices. That 75 card, I am posting him at 6,999 - basically a silly price, but I'm doing so understanding the psychology here. Why would you want him badly? He's a 75, useless. But of you want him badly, it's because you want to do this set... you see that the 90 Rison is still going for a healthy price of maybe 70,000 coins (well over training price). Presumably you have 23 of the 25 pieces needed for the set... and a price of 7,000 rather than 1,500 is annoying but unlikely to be enough to say "well I'll just wait a couple more days" so you just suck it up and buy it.

Anyway, my buy/sell log is just jammed of late with these stories... bought 6 copies of the same card averaging maybe 1,000...then basically paid for the whole lot by selling one at a 6,000 marked-up price. I am accumulating a lot of this fodder just off the small profits of buying low and selling absurdly high, on a small scale but many times over.

I am surely the main contributor to the price of the 90 Rison drifting upward to 60-70-80K or so. The real hope is that if/when a big Rison card does come, it will trigger a rush for a while on these 90s, and I will be ready - the 10x or so that I have in hand can sell at 120 or 150K or whatever the market will bear at its zenith. And these remaining component pieces will go up as well, when someone who has lots of little pieces around wants to cash in on the 120K sale price for the 90 card, maybe he will pay my absurd 15,000 price for the 75-rated card that I bought in January for 850.

Anyway, it's something to do. Beats, you know, playing challenges and stuff. Actually football games, yawn.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote