View Single Post
Old 03-17-2023, 11:18 AM   #98
MoonlightGraham
High School Varsity

November 1, 2014

Three players to whom we've offered scholarships make their decisions this month, and two of them choose Lafayette.

First, a quick farewell to the one who gets away. Roderick Gove will be playing his college ball at Manhattan. I'll content myself with the fact that fitting him and Joe Lien into the same backcourt wouldn't have been easy, since there's only one basketball in the game at a time.

I'd rather spend time talking about the two players we do sign.

Richard Leak will make his way down from Ludlow, Massachusetts to join us next season. He is a pass-first, make-his-teammates-better point guard with a delightful 5.22:1 A/TO ratio. He doesn't project to be a lockdown defender, but he's not lazy at that end of the floor, either, and he's athletic enough to be disruptive.

Raleigh McGinty has the potential to be the kind of high-scoring big man we haven't had since Robert Castleman graduated. Raleigh creates his own scoring opportunities with ease in high school, and he's a good enough shooter to force opponents to guard him away from the basket.

He'll need a partner to do some of the dirty work in the post, but that's where we hope Johnathan Blouin will come in handy. Johnathan eliminates Seton Hall from his list of schools, so it's down to us and Pennsylvania, and we are in the pole position. Let's get this done.

Our pursuit of Samuel Davis goes well, too. He now prefers our offer to Liberty's, and we're hoping one more month's worth of attention will persuade him to sign.

We have a scholarship available to offer again. Let's take a closer look at big Otis Hall.
HTML Code:
#10 PF Otis Hall -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Height: 7-0 Weight: 218 High School: Southeastern High School Hometown: South Charleston, OH GPA: 2.43 Test Score: 1090 Rating: * Attributes: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Type INS JPS FTS 3PS HND PAS ORB DRB PSD PRD STL BLK QKN STR JMP STA -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Current: 22 46 13 5 9 37 58 47 23 25 50 42 64 53 24 0 Potential: C C F F C C C B C D A C Season Stats: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PTS OREB REB AST TOS A/T STL BLK PFS -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 20.8 3.6 13.0 2.0 2.9 0.67 3.7 2.9 3.6 Shooting Averages: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FGM FGA FG% FTM FTA FT% 3PM 3PA 3P% -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 9.4 15.1 .619 2.1 3.7 .568 0.0 0.0 .000 Recruiting Notes: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Qualified: Yes Current interest in Lafayette: Very High Rankings: None High School Awards: None Top 5 Schools: Lafayette, IPFW

Yes, I know Otis is a one-star recruit. But look at the way he fills a scoresheet: 20 points, 13 rebounds, better than three blocks and steals per game. This young man is a basketball player.

He'll need an incredible amount of work on conditioning, but we can afford to be patient with him...especially if we sign three other big guys in his class. It's also not ridiculous to envision Otis as a "small" forward; he's comfortable with the ball in his hands, and he's rather quick for a seven-footer. Let's make him an offer and recruit him to the max, and see what happens.

I set our training for the month--with a heaping helping of academic tutoring for Joe Lien--and prepare for the beginning of the season.

Last edited by MoonlightGraham : 03-17-2023 at 10:31 PM.
MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote