View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 09:55 PM   #61
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

#1. Don't Starve
Klei Entertainment
Action

I'm going to make a statement right now, so get ready and hold onto your butts.

1). Don't Starve specifically, and Klei generally, are the best example I know of developers listening to fans and making changes based on their input. They have made numerous changes, updates, and additions to the base game since release. Only major changes to the game's central concept (multiplayer, seasons, and the new map one) require any additional expenditures in the form of DLC. For example, they have taken popular mods from the Workshop, and made them official.

2). Don't Starve is the single best designed, and best package all around for any indy game ever released. Period. Not just in the last five years but ever. (Obviously that's my personal opinion. But I stand by it)

Don't starve is unique. Deadly. Nasty. And you just have to play more. The graphics are awesome and creepy, the music is extremely on queue and properly moody. The tension is palpable. And you die a lot.

A lot.

The game is still hard for me. For example all of the world has a underground cave system, that's a few levels deep, and underneath that is a hidden underground ruin system (all added in free updates, btw). I was in day 100+ of my survival, I had a pretty pimped out camp I felt. And I was barely surviving the regular onslaught of attacks by the dog/hound puppy creatures that chomp you.

So I grabbed a bunch of stuff, armor, weapons, food, light, and my extra life stuff and headed down to explore. In about 15 minutes, I was harvesting some useful items, and then heading to bed for the night with a sleeping bag I made down there.

I kept exploring, and within another 20 minutes of play, I had died twice, and used up all of my extra death equipment I had made, and was about to die permanently the 3rd and final time, and I barely made it out alive, and a few minutes later, the dogs pounced on me and slew me. And I was prepared

That is the grandeur of Don;t Starve.

And you lose sanity, you begin to see things, and soon those things will have physical effects on the game. And some very important things require you to lose sanity. So I'm not above making a quick little tiara of flowers and wearing it all over god's creation because it restores my sanity a bit here and a bit there

Don;t starve gives you a constant barrage of needs both food, and sanity and health. Keeping all three up is rough (and if you add Reign of giants DLC you get seasons and a wet meter as well). All of the sudden that parasol looks downright essential.

My homes never look this good :0 -

It's hard to balance all three. weapons decay, armor gets ruined, you have to constantly look for wood, rocks, flint, food, leather, and more. And you are always needing some random ingredient that forces you to go hunting. Dammit, i need more spider webs! And you have to fight for virtually every major ingredient out there. And then you set up traps, walls, and other defenses

And don;t forget that your own allies can turn against you. I built some beehives near me for honey and yet still it's not unusual to have those bastards turn against me and try to kill me pretty regularly.

Campaign mode? Check. If you can find a portal, you can head over and get your campaign on.

You have to make tools, weapons, armor, cloths, cook food, make tents, fire places, bedrolls, places to cook, chests to hold your stuff, fences, traps, machines to research off, and tons more.

And you can unlock more characters and modes as you die. So there's that at least, right?

Just don't starve

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-29-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote