View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 06:31 AM   #417
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Aside from what I think of the morality of the subject personally, we were talking about what in this portion of the thread? Yep, that's right, the marketability of certain fighters.

And if you think there wouldn't be additional issues marketing a gay MMA fighter then you're so out of touch with reality that you would really be better served in the future by remaining silent & allowing people to assume your ignorance rather than operating a keyboard & proving it.

Why not give it a try? It's easier to sit back and maintain the perceived status-quo, than it is to to break new ground, and pave the path to a better world. It's risky. There are issues with him having pink hair, and pictures of him kissing dudes, sadly. What I am wondering is if people react negatively to that because they feel they would be labeled negatively as a consequence, rather than them really feeling hatred toward the participants of that behavior.

I think most people just float along with the current, knowing that they are out of harms reach by doing so. I think that someone with a relatively wide-reaching platform (like EliteXC) could surprise people just enough by coming out and saying "Hey, we support gay fighters"..and the tide could slowly turn. It wasn't long ago that people were saying the same thing about Jackie Robinson.

None of this matters at this point, though, because Seth Petruzelli is probably not gay.