View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 11:17 PM   #120
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
there is nothing wrong with listening to music that's from off the beaten path. this isn't a popularity contest. i'm just saying you can't tell me the music you listen to has that much worth or value or contribution to music when no one has heard of any of the groups you listen to. you rattle off the same groups that other music snobs/geeks listen to. i've told you this already. if they had anything to bring to the table they wouldn't be underground. not that being on magazine covers and winning awards are a validation of an artist's worth, just that Elvis couldn't be the King Of Rock if only sophisticated music snobs listened to him. acts like Elvis, albums like Nevermind - they are what they are because they struck the same chord in millions of people. they reached people.

people not in music will never know just how hard it is to write one hit song. just one. to make one song that millions identify with and like is extremely hard (outside of gimmick songs like "Macarena"). to make an entire album that millions connected with - that just doesn't happen all the time. that's something unique and special. not everyone has the ability to make a "Nevermind".

This is patently untrue. Although it is somewhat changing due to the internet, 95% of what 95% of people listen to is what A&R men think will sell. Note, not what they think is good, but what they think will sell. That essentially means they have to appeal lowest common denominator. Of course, plenty of talented groups are popular and yes, the majority of unsigned bands and groups on small indie labels are crap and will never amount to anything artistically, but that doesn't mean popularity = talent and certainly doesn't mean no popularity = no talent.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote