View Single Post
Old 02-09-2022, 12:04 PM   #335
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
My son just turned twelve and I’m already feeling melancholy about him leaving and then the girls are only 5 or so years behind him.

My point in saying this is that I’m scared to come into this thread. I don’t know how I’m going to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're in as good of place as any. Son goes off and you still have daughters to help with transition for 5 years. We had 2 years between son and daughter, and that helped.

Your kids are prob too young right now but ... when age appropriate, start the habit of texting each other in a family group chat on WhatsApp, Messenger etc. Son is working out of state (and daughter in college) but we still text, send interesting pics, memes etc. each other with whatever and that keeps us connected. In retrospect, my shared dorm phone and snail mail wasn't that great to keep the family connected.

Another mitigation action is to start talking to kids about in-state colleges and working in the state. We basically told our kids to go to college where ever and work where ever. I'm not sure that wasn't a mistake, it would help if the kids were in 2-3 hours driving distance.

FWIW, I started this thread when my son left for college. It has gotten better and I'm sure it will for you too. Hang in there.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote