View Single Post
Old 07-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #2
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

I hate going into a draft feeling like I have to chase offensive talent. We ended up with the 10th pick. And it's a particularly uncertain place to feel like you really need to add offense to the group. The QBs, and let's be honest there's usually just one, go at the very top. The WRs go really quickly after that and you're probably chasing a little if you get into the middle of the 1st and think you've got a 65+ difference maker staring at you.

I feel great at 10 if I just need a very good player. There will be a lineman or a TE or undoubtedly a nice warm and cuddly high end linebacker.

The board went pretty chalky early, but we spent some time on this class last night and I'd ultimately narrowed our hopes to a QB and a WR I thought had a chance to get to us, with some good supplemental position types as fallbacks.

There was a 1.1 type QB (Shaun Sallee) up top and he went there. Same story with some clear stud WRs. QB McKnight and the WR Johnstone looked like the best of the next tier type of premium position offensive guys, with enough flaws to scrape through to us.

We ended up with McKnight and Johnstone went off the board at 1.17. I waffled for a second when they both made it to us.

I think the money play is probably a receiver almost every time. There are retread QBs floating out into the market regularly, but you really never get a chance to just nab a 65 WR without paying big in draft picks and an extension. They're a critical part of almost every successful offense. You're better off with great receivers and an ok QB than you are with a great QB and ok receivers.

Blah blah blah.

McKnight looks really intriguing to me. I think the passing bars are real. A lot of his components look very strong. The sense rush is a major red flag for a lot of people and I think it's why he'll be at the center of our little thread here for the next 15 seasons or so instead of chucking it for somebody else. He's a 60+ QB by my eyes, and there's some chance he's a very good runner. I don't know exactly what to do with that but I think it's a fun wrinkle.

If he's not a fumbler, we've got a dynamic franchise guy, even with some sacks. If he's a fumbler, cue the Job Bluth gifs.

Last edited by MalcPow : 07-13-2020 at 05:36 PM.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote