View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #224
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
So, based on the bolded part, do you really think if Bernie enacted universal health care tomorrow and employers no longer paid for it - that we would all get a raise in our wages? That's pretty funny. No, workers just would lose the employer subsidized portion and then have to pay higher taxes for worse coverage.

I don't see the need to throw away a system that works for a vast majority of workers in this country. I'm fine setting up a plan to cover those people who make less than a certain amount (say 60K) and have a subsidized scale moving up to help people making under 100K cover their premiums. But leave employer subsidized heath care the way it is. The focus should be on finding better ways to subsidize coverage for those not currently covered - not throw the baby out with the bath water and setup a system that gives a majority of this country worse coverage at a higher price to them.

Employer subsidized health care is a disaster. Just about every economist agrees on this point (whether left or right). It hides the true cost of health care from most people for one.

Now, I do get like $150 a month taken out of my paycheck for health care. I don't know if my employer (the US Government) would give that back to me. I suspect a number of employers would give some of that back (because it was a garnishment based on a choice for insurance made above an employement contract signed). The lower wage jobs likely would not.

Anyways, I know that people irrationally like their private insurance (probably because there is a fear of the unknown), so I'd like to see a public option in place first and a gradual move away from private employer insurance.

Quote:
It's his raising of marginal rates and upping the payroll tax on people who make between 75 and 120K. These people already pay 40% wage tax, Sanders would up that to almost 50%.

So the stuff below $250k is just a repeal of the Trump tax cuts, IIRC.