View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #225
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And then there is the other phenomenon. My wife's parents are big Trumpers. They have the hats, bumper stickers (along with other bumper stickers about "libtards" - regardless of the fact that both of their daughters are very liberal), etc. My wife recently told me that when Trump was running, they were adamant that they weren't going to vote for him. They thought he was abhorrent. Now, they weren't as moderate as you and molson. They were definitely far more conservative, but made a big show about they weren't voting for him. Then they said, well because of Hillary, we had to vote for him, but we didn't like it. And now they've gone fullbore supporters. And part of it is probably because "he makes liberals mad" and part of it is that it speaks to things they believe but never really wanted to speak openly (they have quite a racist streak - thankfully they stopped posting anti-Muslims shit on Facebook after meeting my family and really liking them - yes Muslim can be humans too).

My parents (mostly my mom) are the same way. Were big Bush and then Kasich supporters and were repulsed by Trump. They claim to have both voted for Gary Johnson (I question my mom didn't vote for Trump) but now my mom is a big facebook pro-Trump meme poster.

My conclusion is a lot different than yours though. The hypocrisy of two party politics can be found on any issue. (i.e. "Border cages" during Obama administration, Betsy Ross flag right behind Obama at his inauguration, Hillary Clinton laughing with Trump in pictures...) The liberal side isn't really winning over anyone by just being anti-Trump all of the time when what they complain about is easy documented in pictures and new reports from when they were firmly in power. I'm scared it's just going to reelect him for another 4 years to talk about how bad he is about stuff that is easily traced back to them. Doesn't always have to be racism...

EDIT: And Trump is awful don't get me wrong. Needs to be removed from office in 2020.

Last edited by panerd : 07-05-2019 at 01:14 PM.