View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #3512
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
The other issue with "back-to-work" without a vaccine or comprehensive testing that no government--be it local, state, or federal--can control is human behavior. My co-worker's mid-40s healthy wife died from this. As more stories like that come out, we're going to see more concern from non-at-risk people about not just "doing my part to help society" but about their own personal health and safety. If restaurants open on May 1st or June 1st or whenever, you can't MAKE people go, and there's going to be a significant percentage of the population that simply...won't. Same with other mass attractions. Can hospitality/entertainment/summer fun venues function if they're only getting, say, 40% of normal revenue?
I think this is a very interesting point. While I appreciate the newer CDC guidelines for making Essential Workers available to return to work with certain caveats (no fever, no current symptoms, etc.). I am VERY wary of how this translates to the rest of the workforce if they follow the same formula. People need a paycheck, and while I don't blame them, I certainly don't necessarily trust that they will truly self-administer and follow these guidelines. So unless each business is equipped to have someone actively check each employee, it will be difficult to determine that balance of risk/reward.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote