View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #893
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Regarding the automatic weapons debate, it is semantics between what is an automatic weapon and what is semi automatic, etc...and is one the gun enthusiast always deflects to in an attempt to invalidate the argument from the other side. IMO any weapon that can fire multiple rounds in a short period of time needs to be regulated. I realize you do not agree, and never will, so the point is a moot one.

I personally agree with most of this. Where we may differ is the degree of regulation. There is definitely room for more registration, restrictions, and background checks.

Also, the distinction between automatic and semi-automatic is important IMO. As said somewhere else, if gun-control proponents can't use the terms properly, it hurts the credibility of the conversation (what other terms won't they use properly). The definition also will define the "scope" of whatever gun legislation there is and hence also important.

In another thread I posted about going shooting with my son. We had a conversation where I could give him the AR-15 and most states don't need a registration. I disagree with this, I do think it should be registered in his name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The concern isn't about what can be done with 3d printers today, its where the technology will advance to and the potential it has 5-10-15 years down the line.

As for what can be done, I'm honestly not sure. Perhaps make it illegal to distribute the plans online, obviously there is the dark web, etc...but it would be a start.

I'm like you. I think we know it will eventually be a threat so maybe start thinking about how to mitigate it.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-26-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote