View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #25
Dutch
"Dutch"

I think chemistry is a nice value-add for the game. I also think that the astrology bit is a neat way to implement it. Sure it's unrealistic, but it's almost like a little mini-game inside of FOF, so it's got it's place.

I agree with QS that investing a lot of time into a somewhat-random implementation wouldn't be as fun as we think it would be. But I wouldn't mind seeing the current implementation expanded upon in future releases.

The foundation for FOF advancement is already in place on the player cards. I think there are some really interesting ways to utilize this data that seems mostly unused.

For instance, the players hometown goes a long way to define the player culturally. Why not exploit that?

Instead of astrological signs, how about geographic affinities/conflicts? Might make more sense.

There are 6 cultural regions in the USA.

1. New England
2. Mid-Atlantic
3. The South
4. The Mid-west
5. The South-west
6. The West

But we could expand upon that and come up with 12 cultural regions.

1. New England (ME, NH, VT, MA, CT, RI)
2. Mid-Atlantic (NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD)
3. The Southwest (TX, OK, AZ, NM)
4. The Pacific Southwest (CA, NV, UT, CO)
5. The Pacific Northwest (WA, OR, WY, MT, ID)
6. The Deep South (AK, MS, AL, LA, TN, KY)
7. The South Atlantic Coast (FL, GA, SC, NC, VA)
8. Mid-west Industrial (WI, MI, IL, IA, OH, WV)
9. The Old Mid-west (ND, SD, NE, KS, MN, IA, MO)
10. East Coast Urban (NY, PHI, BOS, DC)
11. West Coast Urban (LA, SF, OAK, SEA)
12. Central Urban (CHI, CLE, DET, STL)

(I'll let you figure out how to break them up evenly)

But it would probably be easy to make common sense correlations. East Coast generally doesn't like West Coast, but likes New England and Mid-Atlantic...etc, etc...

Same concept really, but might be more comprehensive...

As for Red Flags, personally, I hate the 'Red Flag'. First of all, there is absolutely no way to quantify any benefits/negatives. Nothing scientific and nothing perceived. For all we know, 'Red Flag' is another way of saying 'Red Herring'...there is no negative effect, and it's only the players own opinion about the 'Red Flag' that matters.

So having said that, it's kind of interesting, but mostly it's just frustrating. I'd like to know it's a known negative and why...but I'd rather not know all players are 'Red Flag' before being signed. Some guys should develop into 'Red Flags' and others should have their 'Red Flag' fade away.

Again, it's all how it's implemented. It's got to be interesting, it's got to be relevant, and it's best if there is some level of ease of use (not neccessarily easy to master though).

The current system works, but it could be better, but be careful if you overhaul it, it could be worse too!

Last edited by Dutch : 10-04-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote