View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #155
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
That's a fair point. Pond was to Smith as Rose was to Tennant. It's even stronger, probably, since Smith's opening was all about Pond and the time rift.

I wonder if they will ever go back to having multiple companions as they did in the old show. I know they've had couples (Pond/Rory and Rose/Mikey), but I remember Baker had 3 at one time. Seems the focus in the new shows is the one to one relationship between the Doctor and his companion.

There have been lots of times the dcotor had several. All of the episodes of the 1st and 2nd had at least two or sometimes three. If you count UNIT personnel for the 3rd then he often has more than just the lady, and the 5th always had at least two except for the last episode. I like the larger crew. Some of my favorite companions have been men like Harry Sullivan and Jamie McCrimmon and Capt. Jack.

I'd also like to see more compelling emotional arcs for companions. The Doctor often has people that just come aboard because he offers them randomly. But sometimes we've seen them with much better backstories. Take 2nd doctor companion Victoria. In a Daleks serial, her only parent, her father, sacrifices himself to save the Doctor- a plot line that happens a lot. He left his daughter an orphan, so the Doctor takes in this 14-15 year old girl because he feels beholden to her father. After a few serials of Cybermen, Ice Warriors and other nasties, she stays behind when they find a nice older couple who never managed to have a child, and becomes pseudo-adopted by them as her new family. That;s a really jilting arc to see in the companions. I'd love to see more of that.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-27-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote