View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #14
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

Faith as a grain of mustard-seed, part 2

“You know, when all is said and done, you’re going to wish you were nicer to ol’ Larry.” MacPhail was even more full of himself than usual; and with good reason. With Dan Topping and Del Webb he had just purchased the Yankee Empire for an unbelievable $2.4 million dollars. (“Less than Ruppert spent on the ground for Yankee Stadium,” he would boast to anyone who would listen.) Even the ice dropped into his glass seemed to be singing his praises.

Rickey’s feud with MacPhail was over a decade old; since McPhail ran the Columbus Redbirds as the Cardinals top minor league club. Rickey resented Leland putting the Redbirds interest over the organization’s; Leland just resented anyone telling him what to do. “Both Crosley and you will end up with a whole lot of nothing, and all I have to do is say ‘the Yankees would love to be apart of the NAL.’ And I’ll just suggest the Browns or Dodgers as the other club, leaving you two out in the cold.”

“Leland, they will only let the Yankees back if they think they can cripple the organization. This whole power play isn’t about the rest of us; it is about bringing the Yanks back to square one.”

“I know,” the smug so and so said between sips. “Still, it is a matter of would I rather screw you and Crosley or be screwed by the rest of those a------s.” MacPhail swung his feet up onto his desk. “Have you dealt with Mack yet?”

Branch shifted uncomfortably, “I’ve been saving that for last. Hard to tell a man like that he isn’t wanted anymore.”

“Well, either you do it or I will.”

“Leland, stop with this.”

“Branch, don’t you get it. I don’t need you. I don’t need the Browns, the Reds, Connie F-----g Mack or any of you. I got the god dammed New York Yankees. And I’m surviving either way.” MacPhail loved watching the pious Rickey flinch at the ‘taking of the lord’s name in vain.’

Rickey rose to leave. “Where the hell are you going?”

“I’m going to report back to Crosley and the rest that the Yankees refuse to work with us. We will fold our clubs, and see how badly the NAL wants you.”

“You’re bluffing.”

“The only leverage you have over the NAL is the possibility of forming a league with us. The Yankees only have value as a major league club—but I dare say you are to be faced with the choice of joining the International League or folding.”

MacPhail laughed. “You are pretty ruthless for a Christian.” He lay back in his chair and pondered for a moment. “I’ll make a deal with you Branch. You get Connie Mack to sell and I’m on board. You have the Yankees as your flagship; Dodgers will go along with whatever we’ll do. And there you have your nice little league.”

“I am not sure Mack wants to sell, he’s been a part of the game so long. . .”

“Damn it Branch, offer to make him league president or something worthless like that. It would be great publicity for us. Means more than the National Commission or whatever those other f----rs are putting forth. Figureheads mean more to the common fan than fancy agreements.”

“We’ll still have the problem of the two Saint Louis clubs.”

“Not my problem Branch. Not my problem. You work it out like big boys so only one of your crap teams is left in the city.” MacPhail worked his way back to the wet bar as Rickey started to leave. “Don’t think this is over Branch; you don’t deal with the devil and expect to get the best of him.”

Last edited by SelzShoes : 02-28-2006 at 02:36 PM.
SelzShoes is offline   Reply With Quote