View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #23
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

The Mahatma and the Master of Ballyhoo, part 1

"I must admit, you would make a great salesman Mr. Rickey.” Long time Cubs executive Bill Veeck was intrigued by the Browns’ situation. Veeck had been considering a bid for the Cleveland Indians, but the Browns had the potential to be a more valuable purchase. “Still I’m not wanting to buy a charity case, I’d like to make some money on this deal eventually.”

“Well, Mr. Veeck the Cardinals would love to own Sportsman’s Park; the lease is $35,000 each season.” During Rickey’s tenures with both Saint Louis clubs he had been all too aware of the financial pressures they existed under. Even with the edge in attendance, the Cardinals were always one of the more cash-poor squads in the National League. Rickey, not without reason, attributed a large portion of the Cardinals successes to his superior roster manipulation. “Breadon could buy either directly from DeWitt or from us. Our cost could be as little as $1.5 million.”

“So, where do we move them?” Veeck edged closer to his suitor. The projections in attendance for the three clubs that had already announced were astronomical. The value of the club would at least double from the change in venue. But long term profits were contengent on two main factors: the stadium and the level of play on the field.

“An AA or IL city would make the most sense: Minneapolis, Kansas City or Columbus.” Branch saw a the markets on the west coast as offering even larger profits, but the outcry and threats from the Pacific Coast League over the former White Sox club’s move made it a risky move at the moment.

Veeck slapped his hands in excitement. ”I got it! We buy the club and do a whirlwind tour of interested cities. Check out the facilities, that sort of thing. Tons of press—we go to the city we feel gives us the best chance to succeed.”

“I honestly think that Kansas City may turn out to be our best option.”

“Off the record, I agree with you, but the tour would drum up a tremendous amount of publicity for the Contential League.” The energy suddenly disappeared as Veeck begun to calculate the negatives of the transaction. Most notable of the worries: the quality of the Browns roster. “The thing I worry about most is will the people show up for this club. People won’t go to a loser, even if it is Major League.”

“I have a plan to make this team an instant contender,” Rickey stated calmly.

“You old horse trader. I don’t doubt your talent, but can you give me an idea before I commit?” Veeck knew Rickey could turn a bad team into a elite squad if given the time to build an infrastructure. The Browns would be lacking in the organizational depth Rickey was famous for winning with.

“When Cox bought the Phillies, you had an interest at that time, correct?”

“Yes. Made the mistake of telling Landis what my intentions were.”

”And those were?”

“Are they the same as yours with the Browns?”

Rickey nodded.

“Will Mack approve the contracts? Great baseball man, but he was born during the Civil War, will he be friendly to the idea?”

“I assure you, Connie Mack will do what is necessary to keep this league afloat. Do not underestimate his bitterness towards the NAL teams for taking his livelihood.”

“So, how many negros are we talking about? The public, even in Kansas City or Minneapolis, might not be too supportive of an all-black squad.”

“I have a man on it now, obviously it depends on who is determined to be on the roster.”

“Branch you glorious bastard. You rise to every challenge with something like this. I toast you.”

“So, we have a deal?”

“I think we do.”