View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Rules Post #9 - The Dungeon

Nothing happens in corridors, all of the action is in rooms. You can only move during the move action, but you are not required to move, should you desire to stay in room you are currently in. After the move action, all automatic combat is resolved with monsters. Most combat is automatic. You enter a room, there is a troll here, so you and the troll tussle. Results come to you in your pm. Some combat is by choice. As an example above, I gave the sleeping giant that could be attacked or circumvented.

The dungeon is all one big map, but there are more difficult areas of the dungeon. The bricks in the rooms in which you begin are Tan. The next level has Burnt Sienna bricks. The third level has Raw Umber bricks. The final, most dangerous areas of the dungeon have Black bricks. If the brick color changes, I will tell you in the pm. Otherwise, there is no change. The darker the color, the more danger you face, but the better the treasure.

You begin on the outskirts of the dungeon, and as you move towards the middle, the bricks will darken. No two players will begin in the same room. When two or more players are in the same room, you will be told in a pm, since some things (like spells) affect them.

If two or more players enter a room, there are several possibilities for combat. If there are multiple monsters in the room, each player will take a share of the monsters to fight, so you will divvy them up. If you arrive with one monster and multiple players, one player will fight the monster at a time, until the monster is killed (unless you are a team). The player with the lowest level will fight first. If tied, Fighters go first, and if two of the, are in the room (or two non-Fighters) then it will be random. So, if Bob and Steve arrive to find a Grizzly Bear, Steve will fight it since he is level 3 and Bob is level 5. If Steve wins, he gets the XP and any treasure the Bear had. If Steve runs away or dies, then Bob fights the Bear.

If multiple players are in a room with a curious object, such as a chest, then priority is given to investigate in the following order – Lower level character first, Assassins second, roll off third.

Many rooms are created in such a way as to have multiple encounters over time, but many rooms may have just one monster, one treasure, and will be vacant later in the game. Thus, it may behoove you to move deeper into the dungeon.

There are some rooms that are only accessible by various things. Some rooms or areas will not be accessible to Taurians. Others may only be guzak and dvergr sized. Others may have locked doors that are best picked by Assassins. There may be other restrictions to places you may go.

It is possible for you to leave the dungeon through magical means, or by retiring. There are no exits. Not in the usual sense.

Every player will see the dungeon from their own perspective. In order to give you a sense of direction, every starting room will have the ability to move forward (some may have additional options). Forward from all starting vantage points will be towards the center of the dungeon. That’s my little help for you. I recommend using a map if you want to keep track of where you have been, in order to ensure you will not get lost. A quick map on a sheet of paper should suffice.

The Dungeon! is magical, and may do unusual and nasty things. That’s my warning….

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote