View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

41-7 Athens Academy win over poor Glascock County. More stressful for the webcast crew (and me in particular) than for our players & coaches. But that's not really a HS football issue.

Game story is here
http://onlineathens.com/sports/prep/...-season-opener

Highlights: new QB abused fair weak team, threw for two TD's (both to our big TE who rumbled for great YAC) and ran for two more.
Lowlights: four fumbles, three of which we lost

Best moment at a game in a long while: Turned out to be the last play of the game, freshman 3rd string QB in just to take the snap run into the line & get tackled. Somebody didn't quite clue the defense into the plan, kid bounced off one guy, then another & another and found himself outside & alone. 74 yards to the end zone. Why does that make me so happy? That's my son's best friend & a genuine good kid. 1 varsity play, 74 yards rushing & 1 TD. Heck of a box score for your debut

One other note, despite what you might expect, there isn't an ounce of quit in those kids from Glascock. Lot of character from a short roster than has such a poor football history that losing by 34 is somewhat of a moral victory. The were still bringing it as hard as they could on that last play as they did on the kickoff, something that I honestly have a hard time comprehending.