View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #50
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Review of The Black Stone

I think there is a lot to like in this story. Howard knows where he is going and gets you there. He introduces a lot of elements to the story, and yet, there is no obvious Mythos element here. He doesn’t use the Necronomicon or The Book of Eibon. Gone is the dank corridors and oppression of many tales. We aren’t investigating long lost caves and caverns or finding deep mysteries under things. All we have is a rock that defies explanation with a past.

Many of the Mythos stories of Howard take place in other eras, but not this one. As such, it’s easy to slide in alongside the others. Many consider it his best written horror story, including Robert Price. I think it’s great except for one thing.
Spoiler

There are many great things to recommend this story, and many a reader wishes we would stay in Stregoicavar for longer. Getting outside of New England and England, and breaking into these places is something very nice indeed.

Howard’s description of the story lacks the focus of the scientist that Lovecraft has. It has, instead, the focus of a researcher. Compare, for example, Lovecraft’s depiction of the analysis of the meteorite in Colour with Howard’s of the narrator’s initial research. Each focuses on what they know best.

Anyway, I think this is a very good story by Howard, and arguably his most important Mythos work. I give it a 4 out of five stars.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote