View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #9
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I will second Grim Dawn. I have over 950 hours in it, all of it hardcore. The game is difficult, but fair. Also, the story, especially on the first play through is pretty riveting. It's typical end of the world fantasy fair, but the way it was told I thought was very good. I still run new character ideas through the game, and never finished it on the highest setting because of getting attached to some characters.

Path of Exile did not do it for me. Having come to the game after Grim Dawn, much of the difficulty stemmed from the skill tree. If you understood it, there was no real issue with running through the game. I played through the first part of the game through the original end game boss with no issues. I felt that fight was a bit unfair. Once you knew the gimmicks it was easy.

Divinity Original Sin was good. I liked the story, but I never finished it. I like games that can reasonably be played in a hardcore manner. Too many of the fights in the game were difficult because they were a puzzle, but not presented as a puzzle. The fight that led me to quit was one where there was a mage that cast a spell that essentially one shot my party on the second round of the battle. There was no reason for me to expect this (like my enemies doing nothing but protecting the mage, no evil speech about his power, etc.). If you have no issue with that, it is a good game, reminded me quite a bit of Baldur's Gate in the play style.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote