View Single Post
Old 04-10-2023, 09:50 AM   #27
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Supreme Court Decisions phase. This phase doesn't involve actions, as the justices act based on their ideology and traits. We had two cases go before the court this term. The first was Elk vs. Wilkins, asking can an Indian make himself a citizen of the United States without the consent and cooperation of the government? Our court voted NAY 5-3, which was close to the real life outcome (7-2). The second case was Allgeyer vs. Louisiana, asking does the liberty that is protected by the due process clause of the 14th amendment include economic liberty? Our court voted AYE 6-2. Real life also voted AYE, but unanimously.

I didn't mention during the governor actions phase that the Republican party went hard on trying to increase state government jobs to try and increase domestic stability. This was great for me since I hold the labor union card, so I got a ton of points.

The next phase is legislation. This time, I had two representatives that got to create legislation. Elihu B Washburn (IL) proposed a new constitutional amendment granted the right to vote for all male persons of color (15th amendment). I've been saying all along this was my #1 priority in this playthrough, so even though the rest of my party wanted me to wait, I did it anyways. Aaron Sargent (CA) proposed create free rural delivery mail service. This proposal was actually suggested from the Interior Secretary, and they get bonus points if someone picks up their suggestion and makes it a proposal. I did this in exchange for support of the 15th amendment.

Next came committee voting. Here are the results, including how I voted.

House Domestic Committee
Create Free Rural Delivery mail service. Passed 17-0. I obviously voted AYE.

House Foreign/Military Committee
Increase Defense Spending. Passed 14-2. I voted AYE even though it doesn't affect me directly. Part of my negotations to get votes for the 15th amendment.
Replace wooden, sail driven fleet with a modernized steel navy. Passed 16-0.
I voted AYE for the same reasons as above.
Idaho Statehood. Passed 16-0. I have politicians in Idaho, so AYE to get them in the game.
Repeal Virginia Reconstruction. Failed 4-12. NAY from me as mentioned in an earlier post

House Economic Committee
Create a National Bankruptcy Law. Passed 16-0. Reformists like this, so AYE.

House Judicial Committee
Set the Number of US Supreme Court Justices to 10. Passed 15-2. We control the nominations, so AYE.
Give former slaves, free blacks, and people of color the right to vote-Amendment. Passed 16-1. Obvious AYE from me.
Create the Department of Justice. Passed 17-0. This doesn't directly affect my faction, but there is legislation down the road that needs this department to be created for me to propose, so AYE.
Two Term President-Amendment. Failed 0-17. One of the rare Democrat proposals. NAY from me.

Senate Domestic Committee
Create President’s Day as a Federal Holiday. Passed 15-1. Liberals like it , so AYE.
Require that most positions within the federal government are awarded on merit rather than on party loyalty. Passed 16-0. This was a weird one for me, because liberals don't like it, but reformists do. In the end, I voted AYE because I think it should be the case in real life.

Senate Foreign/Military Committee
Retire outdated Weaponry, tactics, training, military technology, and military officers. Passed 17-0. We have a few warmonger players on our side, so it made sense to vote AYE.
Provide a land grant for those willing to move west and irrigate desert land. Passed 17-0. As the agricultural guy, I had to vote AYE.
Montana Statehood. Passed 17-0. As before, I have Montana politicians, so AYE.
South Dakota Statehood. Passed 17-0. AYE for same reasons as above.

Senate Economic Committee
US Dollar as the nation’s currency using gold standard. Failed 2-17. This bill hurts my faction for a ton of reasons, so NAY.
Create the Interstate Commerce Commission to regulate interstate shipping and travel, predominately the railroads. Passed 19-0. All the left wing factions like this, so AYE.

Senate Judicial Committee
Sell Confiscated Plantations to Poor Whites for cheap. Passed 13-1. An ahistorical bill that the left wing loves, so AYE.

Packaging happened next. Here are the bills now going to the house, and eventually the senate. I don't expect any of these to fail. For the amendment, if it gets through congress, then it will go to the states for a vote.

HR 1: Create Free Rural Delivery mail service.
HR 2:Create a National Bankruptcy Law
HR 3 (Packaged) Set the Number of US Supreme Court Justices to 10 and Create the Department of Justice.
HR 4: Amendment: Give former slaves, free blacks, and people of color the right to vote.
HR 5: (Packaged) Replace wooden, sail driven fleet with a modernized steel navy AND Increase Defense Spending.
HR 6: Idaho Statehood
SR 1 (Packaged) Create President’s Day as a Federal Holiday AND Require that most positions within the federal government are awarded on merit rather than on party loyalty.
SR 2: Create the Interstate Commerce Commission to regulate interstate shipping and travel, predominately the railroads.
SR 3: Sell Confiscated Plantations to Poor Whites for cheap
SR 4 (Packaged) Provide a land grant for those willing to move west and irrigate desert land AND Montana Statehood AND South Dakota Statehood.
SR 5: Retire outdated Weaponry, tactics, training, military technology, and military officers
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote