View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #1223
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I get that, and its horrible. But what do we do? Now we will have 5 pages of debate over the right to bear arms. While we have that debate St Louis will see a bunch more people killed. As will Chicago and Detroit, etc.

There are tons of reasonable solutions that can improve things and they come up repeatedly any time a thread about gun violence becomes active, but the truth of the matter is that enough people have been convinced that its worth a few mass shootings and countless murders and suicides to block even the idea of background checks at gun shows or private sales of guns, or additional efforts to prevent the mentally ill from obtaining guns. None of those things impede on the right to bear arms of any individual that has one today, and while they may not stop the specific shooting we are discussing right now, they would reduce the overall amount of gun violence in the nation. But any sort of actual discussion just gets ignored in favor of the far more extreme arguments.

As for what to do, arguing here isn't getting me anywhere, though if the discussions we have here change a single person's mind if they read through these threads, then its worth it. For me though, Everytown For Gun Safety - the org that digamma participated in an interview for awhile back and shared with all of us here - that organization gets a decent bit of my "giving/donating/supporting" budget (behind a music charity that I personally help organize events for twice a year).
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote