View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #125
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
If anything, all the dialog on this show suffers from too much composure, and the stuff most worthy of cringing comes from trying to jam in too much (shoddy) character development into a tiny time frame.

And the third episode just caused me to echo the thoughts I had after the second episode...the pilot had me interested in a moody take on the zombie theme, with a lone character wandering into and out of random situations, struggling to cope with zombie reality, and its unique challenges. Instead, he was reunited with his wife, child, and an old friend (and romantic rival) in barely any time, and thrown into a tired group dynamic we've seen a million times before in any number of movies. It seems pretty obvious that the majority of plot action is now going to be centered on interpersonal/relationship bullshit in a zombie setting, rather than straight up survival. Certainly there's a place for such stuff, but as SteveMax noted, those themes aren't all that unique in today's TV world (the Jericho comparison, with it's many post-apocalyptic love triangles, seems particularly apt after 3 episodes), and it's not the show I was looking for, nor the one I thought I was getting after the pilot.

Having read the source material, I pretty much knew what to expect in terms of what the series was going to be about. It's partially about trying to survive in this post-apacolyptic setting, but it's also about the inter-personal relationships within the group trying to survive.

If you were expecting something else, I could understand the disappointment. It's tough to deal with unsettled expectations. I remember going to see "Fifth Element", think it was supposed to be a gritty, sci-fi film in the vein of "Bladrunner" and hating it. Or my friend thinking "Starship Troopers" was going to be serious and gritty and hating that movie because it was campy. I knew going into "Starship Troopers" what it was meant to be and loved it and have since accept "Fifth Element" for what it is and love that. But, still, unsettled expectations can very much ruin an experience.

I don't really see how compelling a "straight up survival" show would be actually. Maybe for a while, but I think it'd run its course in due time.

Pretty much all of the best zombie films were a mix of surivial and group dynamics. "Night of The Living Dead" is probably the best example of it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote