View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #57
Radii
Head Coach

haha thanks guys.

Cholesterol results still not back.

I'm having a Coronary Artery Calcium Scan on Friday. This is a measure of calcium found in your arteries and can detect cardiovascular damage/risk before symptoms. Between the way I've eaten most of my life, diabetes and family history with heart disease if this can help me determine if I'm already at higher risk for a heart attack younger than most I'd like to know it. Its not so much related to diet changes as me getting obsessive and proactive about everything once I start trying to get healthy.

I'm also having a DEXA scan next Tuesday. body composition, lean body mass vs fat, is the result of this for me. Its one of the more accurate tests available but not perfectly accurate. Discussions about protein being burned along with fat during fasting and lean body mass loss came up on a low carb myfitnesspal forum that is closed and that I like an awful lot. Everything I've read about keto and fasting both say that its more sparing of lean body mass than regular diets because of the fact that in ketosis you are burning fat for fuel and have easier access to your stored fat b/c of a bunch of metabolic pathway shit that I don't understand. But I love data and can afford to indulge, so lets to get a DEXA scan now, and lets get another in 3 months, or maybe after 30 pounds lost, and track changes. Wheee.

EDIT:

Insurance doesn't cover any of this. Artery test is $50, DEXA scan $75. Artery test does incur some radiation, its a CT scan. I don't know if its something I would want to get regularly but I've had very few x-rays/CT scan stuff over the years so I think this one is fine. DEXA also involves some radiation, but I found some numbers saying that you have to have 180 DEXA scans to equal the amount of radiation from one set of dental x-rays. So I'm totally ok getting that re-checked at regular intervals for my own curiosity

Last edited by Radii : 09-06-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote