View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I felt that you overvalued Harris, that he is an older player signed for a ton of money for many many years of which I can only imagine some of them will be like an albatross for the team that owns him then. I also think you overvalue the demand for him from the league as I've been trying to trade a pretty decent 2B for two years now (whom is younger, cheaper and hit .345 this past season), and have only had 2 teams in 2 years talk about him and as of yet not really give up a solid deal for him.

I didn't look at the quality of the players that you had in the deal as well and don't have the game in front of me to do so right at this second, and I fully understand your draft picks are just like mine from the past few years meaning most of them aren't worth a ton... but either way it would be very tough for me to swallow that salary down the road giving up alot for it. I think to give a full analysis of the trade I would need to look at the players that you offered as well, but my take was that you were sacrificing the future of your team for this year and possibly next year as your last chance to win it all. (not sacrificing due to giving up fairly worthless draft picks, but sacrificing because you would then be salary cap impared for years)

Very good analysis, I think. I tend to favor the "win now" over the later. Especially on a team as close as mine. I probably overvalued, but the draft picks aren't as important to a team like mine (like you said..) and so, it was really about the players, who in my mind would likely never play for me. I have a ton of young catchers, so he's expendable and the outfield kid was fine, but again, I don't really have a need for one right now.

My team isn't as old as some of the other contenders out there. They could still be good with some moving parts for the next 3-5 years. Maybe longer, even. I stumbled into a pretty good core over the past few years and so, as long as guys developed and kept holding up their end of the bargain, I think that it was a calculated risk, but one was I was comfortable with taking.

And I've demonstrated in the past, that I don't mind eating the back end of a contract if I can win with the player now. So it's really just a philosophical decision, but I do tend -- in all of my online leagues -- to be a really bad reader of the general market climate.

I just prefer to get "my guy" than to not. So it doesn't matter to me.