View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #42
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

CWA Championship Wrestling (Week 1 April, 1987) Att:1,000 (SOLD OUT) From the Attack Athletics Center in Illinois:

Pre-Card:

In a match that had an average crowd reaction and some decent in-ring action, Jeff Jarrett and Brickhouse Brown defeated Badd Company in 11:58 when Brickhouse Brown defeated Paul Diamond by pinfall with a Missile Dropkick. During the match we also had Chic Donovan run in and attack Jarrett. Jeff Jarrett and Brickhouse Brown make defence number 1 of their AWA Southern Tag Team titles. (ticks over the Chic v Double J storyline)

Main Card:
Bruce Prichard makes a formal announcement from the CWA Championship Committee. "While they are concerned about the tactics that Tommy Rich used to defeat Austin Idol for the Southern Heavyweight Championship, the referee's decision is, of course, final. However, Austin Idol does have a valid complaint. Therefore, starting tonight there will be an eight man tournament, to determine the #1 contender to the Southern Heavyweight Championship. The eight men have been told they are wrestling tonight, but not who." (D-)

In a #1 Contenders Quarterfinal Match, Dutch Mantell pinned King Cobra at 7:56 (King Cobra really off his game, D)

Jerry Lawler comes out, announces to the fans that he's in the tournament, and so is that no good snake in the grass Austin Idol, so he's hoping to get his hands on Idol and specifically.. "I'm not disrespecting the Southern Heavyweight Title. But right now, I want my hands around Austin Idol's throat more than anything. So I'm glad I'm in the tournament. Because that gives me the chance to face him!"

(Jerry Lawler, not caring about the title? Idol's tactics are getting to him!) (C)

In a #1 contender tournament quarter final, In a bout that had a good crowd and some decent in-ring action, Bam Bam Bigelow defeated Bill Dundee in 10:25 by pinfall with a Power Bomb. (D+, Dundee off his game)

Wildfire Tommy Rich comes out and prepares to address the crowd, but before he can do more then thank the good fans of CWA for supporting him, Bam Bam Bigelow and James E Cornette come out...

Cornette: "Rich.. congratulations.. but here's a warning for you. I want that Southern Heavyweight Title in Cornette Incorporated. I don't care what I have to do, or what I have to have Bammer here do, the title is coming to where it belongs, to James E Cornette, Manager of Champions!) (D)

In a #1 contenders quarterfinal match, Austin Idol defeated Rocky Johnson by submission with a Las Vegas Leglock (D+)

The three main CWA announcers (Lance Russell, Paul Dangerously and Bruce Prichard) talk about the new signing that CWA has made.. a dangerous wrestler who has just returned from Japan, "Big" Scott Hall. They put over his size, and wrestling ability in the ring (D)

In the main event of the evening, In a bout that had a good crowd and good action, Jerry Lawler defeated Dirty Rhodes in 9:43 by pinfall with a Piledriver. (C-)

Final rating: D+