View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 06:04 AM   #72
Izulde
Head Coach

Sergio Sanchez is praised for his training. Luke Chambers does okay in Wales' 3-0 win over Taipei, but he was a reserve.

@Torquay (10th)
GK David Raya
DL Leon Clowes
DC Tom Sharpe
DC Sergio Sanchez
DR Andy Yiadom
DM Taylor Parmenter
DM Kieran Martin
ML Callum McNish
MR Courtney Harris
ST Nabil Guedioura
ST Lewis Taaffe

7 - Missed header by Parmenter gives them the goal. 0-1

30 - 25 yard strike a better keeper could have stopped. 0-2

No surprise our offense is struggling. We always do when Gracco and Geynrih are both out. It may be time to clear some guys out at the end of the season. Anyway, Bangura on for Yiadom at the break.

77 - Parmenter rails a beautiful pass to Guedioura who runs down the left flank until he crosses to Taaffe in the box, and our man puts it in to cut the lead in half. 1-2 Also, Hughes on for Harris.

They could've won by more, and probably should have, so we'll take the loss, tough though it is.

Our capacity is still 4,000 after the stadium renovation. The difference is, we now have 2,000 actual seats, 1,175 more than before. It's still a piss-poor pitch, though, with the field rated Very Poor.

Samuel Bangura continues to impress in training, but has still lost his starting spot for now.

vs Luton (6th)
GK Luke Chambers
DL Leon Clowes
DC Tom Sharpe
DC Sergio Sanchez
DR Samuel Bangura
DM Taylor Parmenter
DM Kieran Martin
ML Callum McNish
MR Courtney Harris
ST Gianluca Gracco
ST Lewis Taaffe

34 - [b]Taaffe[/b with the corner, and Parmenter heads it to Sharpe, who in turn heads it right in front of him into the net for a goal. 1-0

44 - WTF Chambers?! Poor hand pass that no one is ready for and a 30 yard striker given up. 1-1

45 - Insert keyboard smash here. 1-2

Raya and Hughes go in for Chambers and Harris. Both the latter players are on thin ice with me due to their poor play lately.

46 - Wow. such terribleness. much goals. Wow. 1-3

57 - Yeah, I'm resigning after this one. 1-4

We plummet from 10th all the way to 16th with the defeat. Yeah, time for me to head on out. It's getting to be a grind having that many games in a season.

Then this cool note pops up.

I've added a certain nation down to its lowest leagues because the quality is supposed to be delightfully awful, so we'll see if I get in there.

Rumors are starting almost immediately.

Yeaaaaaah... not gonna happen.

Australia has had its national team job sitting open for quite a while now, so I'll go ahead and apply.

Seriously? Fuck you guys.

At this point I decide to go on vacation and tell my secretary to apply at all openings and get back to me when I have a job offer. Then when the first offer is some Spanish lowest league B team I have no interest in signing, I just decide to wait until the nations change over.

But then this happens:

They've got a quite nice setup there, though they're also paying off a $3.9 million loan debt. Never made it to the Premier League as far as I can tell, so that'd be something to shoot for. With 6 games left, they're 20th, which is just above the drop zone, so no harm, no foul if we get relegated.

Very tempting. Very tempting indeed. But after reading about the city of Walsall I decide to pass.

Nobody offers me a job after the spate of end-season firings. Brackley and Staines stay in League 2 and BSS respectively.

David Raya gets a 6 month loan to Dover. Just for jokes, I apply to Crystal Palace in the Premier League. Indonesia, which is the set of leagues reportedly the worst, don't look so bad at second glance, I'll cancel that out if I'm not hired by a lowest division club.

There's interest by both clubs I apply to, but both reject me. I try Cardiff City for the hell of it, keep trying to get a Premiership gig. And the numbers are frankly impressive.

But yeah... I was just doing it to see if I could do it. Sorry, Cardiff City! The new house rule is that I only take jobs offered to me, unless it's a Blue Square team. Then I can apply at will.

And I find one I'm looking for.

Havant & Waterlooville has yet to get out of Blue Square South, finishing no higher than 4th in this universe, and so far they're 16th. They're offering me a two year, $61,000 per season contract. They have a $415k/year wage budget, but are sitting at $487k.

So the first thing I do is release everyone making a significant amount of money on a free. LOL at this press conference question:

Yeah I'm slumming it. No, I don't care. They ask me if I have regrets about leaving Brackley, which I don't. This club is a lot closer to Portsmouth geographically, anyway.

Ian Gay signs a 2 year deal to become my assistant manager for the third time. He and I come in to what is now essentially an empty cupboard team, with $391k available in the wage budget.

We hire Martin Davies, a fantastic keeper coach, as one of our coaches, and bring in John Hartson to be our Chief (and only) Scout.

vs Maidenhead (17th)
GK Ross Kitteridge
DL Robin Whittington
DC Pat O'Connor
DC Ben Martin
DR Daniel Cleary (Loan)
DM Adrian Kearns
DM Medi Abalima
ML Lindsay Nardiello (Loan)
MR Alex Price
ST Sam Malsom
ST Dennis Osborne

Pay no attention to most of the names in this list. They're largely reserve league and youth team scrap heap guys. The nice thing is, I already had a bunch of DMs to run my Arrigo 4-4-2 right off the bat.

35 - Can definitely tell we're back in the slums. Awful finishing all around. But then there's this thing where Martin boots it to Nardiello and a header later, Malsom has the ball and kicks it in for the first goal of my H&W tenure. 1-0

Damned impressive first half from a team I thought was going to get clobbered. Let's see how we do in the second half.

66 - Well, we knew it wasn't going to last. 1-1

72 - Uff da. 1-2

80 - Abilamba kicks it along the ground to Osborne, and the hoof from the half-circle somehow goes in! 2-2

We came in 16th, so I'll take the draw against the team directly below us with the lineup we had out there tonight.

Keith Smith comes in to coach, so I've now got both staff members who left Brackley with me.

Transfer In - George Colson (23 - MR)
Signed to a 2 year deal worth $11.5k/year. Some great physical attributes, including 14 pace, and 13 passing. Massive upgrade at MR over the junk piles we had there, and he has BSP level potential.

Loan In - Michael Roberts (25 - DM)
Okay, so he stinks. But he's only here for 3 months and will probably start because there's not much quality to be found right now.

Loan In - Jack Maloney (22 - ML/ST)
From Portsmouth of all teams. 3 month loan who will be an immediate starter at ML and may see time at ST, because we have no depth there and he'd be a stopgap solution.

@Weston-super-mare (7th)
GK Ross Kitteridge
DL Robin Whittington
DC Pat O'Connor
DC Ben Martin
DR Daniel Cleary (Loan)
DM Michael Roberts (Loan)
DM Medi Abalima
ML Jack Maloney (Loan)
MR George Colson (New Signing)
ST Sam Malsom
ST Dennis Osborne

1 - Can't believe they missed there. And I just realized I forgot to set my position training for Colson.

We're lucky to go into the break tied. Whittington, who is a U18 call-up, is wiped, but we literally have no one who can cover for him there.

46 - Empty cupboard we are, so no surprise. 0-1

Despite the loss, Ben Martin earns Player of the Game with a 7.7 rating.

Swell. Daniel Cleary's loan deal is due to end in a few days.

Transfer In - Mark Bower (36 - DLC)
Signed to a PPA deal, he still has mental attributes galore, and will be a DL stopgap for now.

Loan In - Michael Drennan (22 - ST)
Got him from Woking until the end of the season. He wanted way too much money to transfer outright, so I cancelled negotiations and took the loan instead. Elite Finishing for this level (13) and strong all-around mental attributes, so if he pans out, I'll look to sign him long-term if the money isn't too funny.

Transfer In - Jamal Hackett (22 - DR)
Signed to a two year, $17k/year contract. (I've determined that I will sign no players above $20k this go-round). Already good for this level, he's got BSP level talent on him.

Transfer In - Elliott James (20 - ST)
Yep, *that* James, the one I signed as a prospect with Brackley, who fizzled out at the League 2 level. 2 year, $8.75k p/a deal, which turned out to be a major overpay, but we'll give him a shot.

vs Bromley (3rd)
GK Ross Kitteridge
DL Mark Bower (New Signing)
DC Pat O'Connor
DC Adrian Kearns
DR Daniel Cleary (Loan)
DM Lindsay Nardiello (Loan)
ML Jack Maloney (Loan)
MR Alex Price
ST Sam Malsom
ST Dennis Osborne

Ben Martin went out for 5-6 weeks last game and I just realize I haven't hired a Physio yet. Oops. Michael Drennan and Jamal Hackett have one day injuries so they won't be back until next game.

We hold our own in the first half against a superior opponent, but this smells a lot like last game. I make a couple freshness subs at half and hope we can hang on. I also forgot to put Elliott James in the subs, because we really could use him right now. Double Oops.

60 - Like I said... 0-1

70 - New goalie too, perhaps? 0-2

So yeah. Nice at the unveiling of Elliott James and Jamal Hackett. I get asked if I plan to sign players I worked with before as a general policy, and yeah, I love doing that.

Transfers In
Chris Blackburn (34 - DCR/DM)
Wes Daly (32 - DM)

Just a couple of PPA depth/possible starter signings to beef up the squad for the rest of the season.

Good thing we got them too, because Lindsay Nardiello's loan is finished, which leads me to believe that the previous management fucking wasted the long-term loans they had this season. Only loan in season-end loans on long-term loans you fuckwits.

vs Basingstoke (18th)
GK Ross Kitteridge
DC Pat O'Connor
DC Chris Blackburn (New Signing)
DR Jamal Hackett (New Signing)
DM Medi Abalima
DM Adrian Kearns
ML Jack Maloney (Loan)
ST Elliott James (New Signing)
ST Michael Drennan (Loan)

Note: Not all these guys are healthy enough to start by their fitness levels, but I don't give a fuck. This is a must win game so it's all possible hands on deck.

Malsom and Price come in at ML and MR respectively at the half, as it's been a very boring first 45 minutes and we have major fitness problems going on here.

62 - That's my boy!!!! Drennan slides it sideways into the half-circle to James, and the young kid shoots it perfectly right in the far corner of the net for a debut goal! 1-0

Despite Kitteridge fucking up with Crocombe-like passes straight at the opposition, and Drennan blowing an easy shot on goal, we grind out the win for the 3 points. Raftful of 7s, highlighted by PotM Adrian Kearns with a 7.6 and Elliott James my man with a 7.2.

Transfer In - Leon Hoskins (DM - 18)
Raw right now, but BSP-level upside. Signed to a 2 year, $3.1k deal that goes up to $4.9k if he appears in 30 games. Worth a prospect signing, to be sure.

Oh sweet irony. Staines's boss wins Manager of the Month. Daniel Cleary heads back to Exeter.

@Worcester (13th)
GK Ross Kitteridge
DC Pat O'Connor
DC Chris Blackburn (New Signing)
DR Jamal Hackett (New Signing)
DM Medi Abalima
ML Jack Maloney (Loan)
ST Sam Malsom

15 - Heh. PK for them. 0-1

32 - Knock for Maloney

35 - Should've doubled their lead there.

Lalalala let's keep going. Daly and James on for Abalima and Drennan, who Eeyore out on me at the halftime talk.

62 - Zzzz. 0-2

76 - Good thing I may have a new goalie coming in. 0-3

83 - Hat trick lulz. 0-4

Transfer In - GK Chad Collins (22 - $19.5k, 2 year deal)
My staff swear this kid is the real deal right now, with BSP potential all over him, so I went *right* up to that $20k line to get him. We'll see how this goes - I haven't had good luck with goalies that don't irritate me.

George Byers is loaned in for 3 months. Purely a ML spell.

@Wealdstone (14th)
GK Chad Collins (New Signing)
DL Robin Whittington
DC Pat O'Connor
DC Adrian Kearns
DR Chris Blackburn (New Signing)
DM Medi Abalima
ML George Byers (Loan)
MR Alex Price
ST Sam Malsom

21 - Great recovery off a bounced corner kick by Blackburn, who wings it out to Byers. A kick up top sees Drennan head it in for the goal and the lead. 1-0

Lights out defense and just enough offense that first half. Let's hope we don't implode like we usually do.

57 - Price is hurt for the second time in the game, so I send in Colson even though I really, really don't want to.

67 - Daly on for Roberts

What a huge win. Nothing lower than a 6.9 for anyone, and Drennan (7.7 PotM), Kearn 7.6, and O'Connor 7.6, really dominated in our first away victory in a long time - 5 straight road losses this team has had, dating back to before I arrived.

We're still just 16th, but the team is slowly starting to come together.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote