View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #41
Groundhog
Coordinator

Spent a good 6 hours (maybe more?) playing yesterday. I played a good amount of SC4 but I was never particularly good at it - I could make a profit with my city, but I never really felt like I was doing more than laying out a grid.

C:S felt a bit like that at first too, I have to admit. I picked the beachy map (name escapes me), and started plotting out my nice little low residential/commercial city near the water, with an industrial area to the north off the highway. After quite a few hours I had upgraded all the streets to be nice and pretty with trees running alongside, and built public transport etc. etc. It was a nice little upmarket town.

Then I get access to the high residential/commercial zones, and build my Manhattan-esque skyscraper zone. But there's a problem. My industry zone is dying. Buildings are abandoned as quickly as they are built. There is a lack of workers, and those that are working are over educated. I build offices to try and keep the educated workers happy, but to populate the industry zones I do something I've honestly never set out to do in SC4 - I buy land to the north and build a 'blue-collar' town.

Still waiting to see if this achieves what I hope it does, but I'm having a ton of fun either way making decisions like this.