View Single Post
Old 06-16-2023, 01:16 PM   #93
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
As someone who has never been a Star Trek fan, where would you recommend someone start in 2023? Do you start with the new shows Strange New Worlds, Picard and Discovery? I tried going back to the 1960's and watching TOS, and it's just not going to happen.

I cannot watch TOS episodes these days-too cheesey, old special effects, etc.

My starting place with one caveat to start is The Next Generation. It was the first new star trek series really since the TOS, and the first season is a bit rough given the actors/writers/directors were often new to Star Trek themselves, and not quite ready to showcase Roddenberry's vision for the show. After that first season, the actors have all grown into their characters.

Plus so much of Star Trek history and lore develop in that show-like the Borg, Q, new/more developed races like the Cardassians, Ferengi, etc. A lot of TNG characters/storylines move on to the newer shows especially Deep Space Nine. I've only seen one season of Discovery and none of Picard, but I have to think a lot of that carries on to those shows too, especially Picard. So I think The Next Generation is the place for newbie Trek fans to start.

Also I have not seen Strange New Worlds yet, but I noticed the other day on the Paramount Plus You Tube channel they have at least Season One there, so a good place to catch up on that one.