View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #257
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Come on Eileen also fell in those seminal MTV years where someone of the era could argue that video airplay might've either made them bigger than their chart presence, or served to obscure their poor chart performance, depending on your perspective.

Though with those same-year comps I mentioned, the MTV play wasn't completely disparate.

To the broader point you raise though, I had a great reminder of the influence of MTV just a couple weeks ago. Until some random FB poster mentioned them, I hadn't thought about Jon Butcher Axis in decades. In revisiting the catalog from his/the band's run I was shocked to realize how many songs I had immediate complete recall for (something like 6 or 7 tracks) DESPITE there being only two that got any radio airplay and despite me owning only one album of the 3-4 involved. But then I also realized that I remembered the videos for most of the songs and that MTV lightbulb went on.