View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 05:47 AM   #402
Radii
Head Coach

April 9th, 2016

Woking (27-7-6, 1st) @ Hereford (13-10-17, 18th)

Hereford are surprising favorites today, 5:4 against our 7:4 to win. We're 2-2-1 against these guys in our history including a 3:1 win at our place in October.

GK: Lynch
D: Nikolaou/V Taylor/Williams/Ogogo
MC: Upson/O'Sullivan
AM: Colin/N'Guessan
FC: Harsanyi/Constantino

Mathieu Manset is their leading scorer with 12 goals. No one else has more than 6, this team isn't going to score a lot. Vince Taylor is back and outside of Williams at DC instead of Smith we're starting our best 11. We're attacking these guys. We need 1 point to clinch promotion and will likely do it even in a loss.

9': We give up 3 corners, on the 3rd one they finally get a shot off that is saved by Lynch.

25': We've put two shots off target, boring start.

31': They win a ball in mdifield and send it foward to their right midfielder, our defense on that side is way way out of position, but Ogogo was lagged behind on the other side of the field to keep him onsides, their man runs into the area, fires, and puts it inches wide... clear cut chance there, we got very very lucky.

37': Ogogo with a dangerous tackle, and his second foul that i've seen at least, its good for a yellow.

43': We have a throwin in their end... they clear it out and make their own run, Ogogo makes a sliding tackle as their AML runs down the left side... he's called for a foul and I'm stunned he didn't get a red.

HALF: Hereford shoots twice, the clear cut chance being their big threat. We have 5 shots, just one on target, we don't look really good right now. I'm bringing in Alcock for Ogogo, I'm worried about his fouls and worried that he's getting burned and will pick up a red if I leave him in.

54': We control the ball in the midfield, Nikolaou plays it long to Colin who is behind the defense, and onsides thanks to a lazy defender on the other side, but he puts a shot wide... sounds familiar.

60': Constantino makes a run down the right side, we have a couple men in the penalty area, Constantino tries a cross, Colin comes flying in with a diving header, he meets it squarely and its by the keeper, goal!!! 1-0

73': N'Diaye in for N'Guessan, Moseley in for O'Sullivan.

76': We lose the ball in midfield, they take it and are off, star striker Manset receives a pass 20 yards out, he plays it out wide left, its crossed back in and their other forward Eyre, we are crying about offsides as he walks it in... ok maybe not literally, but it sure feels that way. 1-1

83': Cross into the area for Hereford, Alcock makes a tackle... and he's called for a foul...... its a yellow for him, and a penalty, they convert and we just collapsed holy crap. 1-2

90': N'diaye crosses in, we get a corner... 4 minutes of extra time... corner taken short to Williams, passed back out to Upson, its a great cross to the far post, n'diaye is there, the keeper didn't rotate over right, the net is WIDE OPEN... header goes over. The commentary says it alll "How did he manage to miss that!?!?"

An amazing and horrendous collapse here.

Hereford 2 : 1 Woking

They only took two second half shots!!! Both were goals. Both a little controversial. Then N'Diaye misses a header into an open net from less than 6 yards out. Just amazing how we managed to lose this one.

Goal: Colin (7.6)
Assist: Constantino (6.8)

For giving up the penalty Craig Alcock earns himself a fancy 5.4 rating. Everyone else was just average.

Oxford beat MK Dons, and that's all we needed.

We aren't happy with our loss today, but its official. Woking have clinched Promotion to League 1

-- a spokesman for the fans states that I'm one of the best coaches around and the fans desparately hope that I stay with the club.

-- a spokesman for the board states that we weren't expected to promote and that it shows how great a job I have done for "delivering the unthinkable"

I attend the postgame press conference, hoping to get to say something about winning promotion, instead its all ref chatter, and I decide to take a stab, I don't specifically call out the refs for the penalty call, but asked a separate question about the impact the referees had on the match, I answered "it changed the game hugely"

Record

-- Woking have set a new record for the number of goals scored in a season in League 2 with their tally of 95 goals. The previous record was 94 set by Port Vale. Woohoo!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote