View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #28
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Cool! Merida is a pretty cool town. The beach/port close by, Progreso, sucks. It is there mainly as a place for the cruise ships to dock. If you get a chance, visit some of the Mayan ruins on your three days wander to Cancun. Chichen Itza is the most famous one, but is also the most crowded. Uxmal is another set of ruins nearby, and they are really impressive. When we went, there wasn't much of a crowd at all.

If you are looking for stuff to do in Manuel Antonio, I can recommend stuff in the area. My aunt and uncle until recently had a house about 20km south of there.

Ahh good to know, I was thinking about a night in Progreso, mainly because there's some very reasonably priced airbnb places there, but sounds like it might be better to get off the beaten track a little, check out some Mayan ruins, and some smaller towns.

What's driving like in the region? We're a little wary about driving, and not just because we aren't used to driving on the correct/incorrect side of the road. It sounds like it's a safe part of Mexico overall though - ie. use common sense and you'll be fine.

Definitely interested in any recommendations in and around Manuel Antonio - especially any particular sights, or good spots to see native animals. That is the one part of our trip where I really splurged on our accommodation (well, comparatively... still cheaper per night than our LA accom!), and it's about a 20 minute walk down to Playa Espadilla beach.