FA roll (0-2): 0
Trade roll (0-2): 1

Carryover: +1 in each
Profit ($-12M): -1 in each

That leaves us with:

45+ rated FA: 0
Trades: 1

Shit.

First things first; we have two team options to decide on. 1B/DH Adam Brand served us well in year one but absolutely cratered in year two both offensively and defensively, so this is an easy decline on a $10.5M deal.

1B Dave Cox is 36, but he's a captain on the team and the option is for just $6M. He had a basically league average offensive season with a 98 wRC+. Without any ability to sign FA's, we'll probably need the body. We'll accept this.

One interesting move we could make; C Jon Hollett is a free agent and is asking for $14M per year over two years. I don't want to pay that, but the thought is crossing my mind to offer him a $20M one-year deal to make him eligible to bring back a compensation pick. I'm going to have a hell of a time finding a catcher as good as him without any FA adds, so if he accepts I'll have a starting catcher, and if he declines I'll have a comp pick. The downside is $20M for us is a lot, and I need to make a profit.

We have nine arbitration eligible guys, one of which is RF Juan Montalvo. Now 31, we added him prior to the 1947 season. He stuck around a lot longer than I thought he would, and had some good years. He's due for a $3.6M deal for his second arb-year, and we have enough depth in the OF that I'm okay non-tendering him.

1B/3B Matt Harris has been around from the beginning, a Rule-5 pick from December of 1945. He hit .234/.317/.334 in his time with us, and now that he's not a great defender at the hot corner I'm happy to move on.

And screw it; we're making Hollet a qualifying offer. With Brand at $10M coming off the books and about $7M in savings from non-tendering three arbitration guys, I think we can absorb the hit if he does indeed accept it.

But it's tight. As we get closer to Spring Training, and ticket sales come into focus, our budget narrows. Right now we're projected to lose $3M.

We lower our amateur draft budget; maybe we can take some under-slot guys to save some money. We still have this trade available, as well. But I think we can wait until mid-season to pull the trigger on that.

Draft lottery comes and disappoints once again, as we drop from #1 to #3.

1951 season incoming.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 12-29-2023 at 10:47 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote