View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #571
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Wed. February 19, 2025

Barclays Premier League
Everton (9-2-16, 29 points, 15th) vs. Dover (18-5-4, 59 points, 2nd)
Goodison Park, Liverpool, UK

Betting Odds: Everton: 6-4 (Favourites) Draw: 2-1 Dover: 13-8
Past Meetings: 8W 2D 4L

Everton are mired in 15th place but have definitely turned things around in the last month, as they are 3-1-1 in their last five matches, with the only loss coming against Chelsea. This is no accident, as the club sacked their previous manager on January 10th and hired Nigel Adkins to take over. Wide midfielder Daniele Bentivoglio leads the club with 8 goals and other fine players include veteran striker Chris Wood, midfielders Nicola Papaleo and Jack Rodwell and former Dover DC Daniel Traore.

We make sweeping changes to the lineup that put up a stinker against Liverpool the other day. Manuel Perez gets his chance to take hold of the #1 goalkeeping position and I also bench captain Salim Loucif, Claudio Contreras and Renato Gaucho on defence. Saber Nasri will captain the club today. Also getting scratched are Arsene Bamba, Benedikt Raab and Chiquinho. Manuel Lugo will start up front with Andy Broomes.

Dover: 4-4-2 Control
GK - M. Perez
D - Rafinha, S. Nasri, R. Hamon, Emerson
M - M. Pedersen, N. Cairney, Jose, G. Allan
S - M. Lugo, A. Broomes
Bench - S. Loucif, M. Mutesa, B. Raab, A. Rocca, A. Bamba, L. Kunchev, Chiquinho

Everton are also in a flat 4-4-2 with Wood and Mike Hall up front. Franco Di Capua is in goal. I want to see our players angry today - I think it’s pretty insulting that we’re underdogs today against a 15th placed side but coming off a loss and with major injury issues, I guess I understand. Lets put a good performance together for the travelling support!

HALFTIME - We’ve had some nice chances and have edged them possession but we’re scoreless through 45 minutes. We held 52% of the ball and a 12-5 (5-3 on target) shot advantage. I’m pleased with our play so far - lets get a goal!

61 - We have a throw in down the right and it’s sent in to Jose. He crosses into the area but it’s headed back out to Neil Cairney. He attempts a pass back into the area and it finds Mads Pedersen and his shot through traffic somehow gets past Di Capua and it’s in! DOVER GOAL 1-0

77’ - We’re putting serious pressure on Everton and while I need to make some changes, I resist because momentum has been on our side. Mads Pedersen, who has been sensational today, shows his flair with some crossovers and gains some space as he cuts into the area. His low blast is saved by Di Capua but the rebound pops out to Graham Allan and he easily slots the ball into the empty net! DOVER GOAL 2-0

We immediately switch to a counter attacking mentality.

83’ - We bring in Andrea Rocca and take out Jose.

87’ - Graham Allan is out and in comes Lyubomir Kunchev.

Solid second half!

Everton 0 - 2 Dover
Goals - Mads Pedersen (8.3), Graham Allan (7.7)
Assists - Mads Pedersen, Andy Broomes (7.0)
Man of the Match - Mads Pedersen
Other Dover Notables - Manuel Perez (7.5), Emerson (7.1), Rayane Hamon (7.4), Saber Nasri (7.2), Rafinha (7.2), Jose (7.0)
Attendance - 39,400

A superb second half and we end up with a huge 27-8 (12-3 on target) shot advantage. Possession was 52% in our favour. What a great game from Pedersen today! Manuel Lugo wasn’t very good today (6.5) and looked “complacent” according to my assistant. Not a good sign for a kid trying to settle into the club.

-- Gianluca Bolis suffered a twisted ankle and will miss three weeks. Wonderful. DOVER INJURY: Gianluca Bolis - Twisted Ankle (Three Weeks)

-- This was a make-up game from earlier in the season and as such, was the only match in the Premier League today. We strengthen our second place position with the win.

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE - STANDINGS
(ALL TEAMS HAVE PLAYED 28 GAMES UNLESS NOTED)

1. Manchester United - 67 points (after 27 games)
2. Dover - 62 points
3. Manchester City - 58 points
4. Chelsea - 58 points
----------------------------------------------------
5. Arsenal - 49 points
6. Newcastle - 48 points
7. Sheffield Wednesday - 46 points
----------------------------------------------------

Next Up

-- In FA Cup fifth round action, we head on the road to face Championship side Peterborough.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 11-05-2014 at 11:35 AM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote