11. 42nd Street
12. Duck Soup
13. Dragnet Girl
14. Woman of Tokyo
15. Every-Night Dreams
16. Dinner At Eight
17. Morning Glory
18. Cavalcade

Overall, a good amount of good movies (five 7's) but only one in the "great" (8+) category, Apart From You.

In fact, I would have hated the 1934 Academy Awards. Cavalcade was the night's big winner, and I hated that movie. Katherine Hepburn won for Morning Glory, the second worse movie of the year. Charles Laughton won for The Private Life of Henry VIII, an okay movie. A Farewell To Arms gets 2 awards, booo!

The 1934 Oscars was the last year the period for awards was split between to calendar years. For the first few, it went from Summer of one year to the next. For the 1934 Oscars, it went from August 1st, 1932 to December 31, 1933. After this one, it would all be in just one calendar year, making my job of picking which movies to watch a lot easier.

3 Japanese movies in the top 5, but the other three fall way down the rankings. The ones near the bottom are there because they felt preachy, and had either uninteresting or somewhat non-existant plots. But when they got it right, they got it really right.

And so ends 1933.

Criterion says they are on schedule for a Spring launch of their online service. Luckily, I did manage to watch a few 1934 movies before Filmstruck was murdered.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote