View Single Post
Old 04-13-2020, 01:09 AM   #25
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

FA1/Draft

We can't really afford to do anything in FA. We spend some time sizing up the draft class and I'm generally glad we don't have a lot riding on getting value from this group. There are always players, but there isn't some depth of standout fits that make me wish we had three 1sts and three 2nds. (I'll stop talking about that trade in a few seasons.)

I'm still waffling on Benson. There's some temptation to more or less run this group back. I wish there was a QB in waiting we could take in this class. There's no one that makes sense. Our RFA QB Marlon Pyatt is probably the most sensible candidate of a weak pool, and I just think he'd likely leave us back in the sack-taking place we were a year ago. He has been progressing though.

I'm a little pissed at some of our RFAs too. WR Cooper Blanchard got 16 starts as our slot receiver last year and he thinks he's something special as a 36/36 guy. He caught 10 TDs and we like him, but $3m+ per year would make him our 7th highest paid player. Show some respect man. I guess we'll try to sign him in FA2 if the numbers come down.

The Benson trade market ends up being a late 2nd. So frustrating. The AI does drive a decent bargain on player for pick trades. Picks for picks are another story. But it's a lot tougher to do anything silly on something player focused.

We move him to Colorado for 2.25 (which is one of the picks we.. nevermind..). Ultimately there are some opportunities to extend guys like MLB Ferguson, DT Wolcott, and SS Matthews right now with two years left on their rookie deals. We can keep those guys in that $5-7m range, which seems viable. They're sneaky pretty darn good too. I don't have it all tested out or anything, but it just doesn't seem like we'll have that chance if we let them go into their walk years after this season. LB Devan Henry is as good as gone too. He's basically tracking on the Benson trajectory and asking for pretty darn big money with two years left on his rookie deal.

We're still in a pissy mood and don't really love anything at 1.27. We trade out completely for a 2nd+3rd in next year's draft. I feel like I'm trying to carve a path where I can extend those defensive guys and one of the WRs. We have two 2nd round picks, and I gave myself some "big" "important" speech about taking some offensive players because we're still really thin when it comes down to it. I seem to remember versions of this game where you could spin 2nd round picks into WR gold but those days seem to be gone. Now I can't spin shit except the best damn LB in the game for 2.25.

Code:
Pick #57 Hanalei ILB Kristopher Cambini Pick #60 Hanalei WR Donnie Farmer Pick #91 Hanalei S Nicolas Kurogi Pick #124 Hanalei C Lee Megna Pick #155 Hanalei RB Donnell Fleming Pick #188 Hanalei TE Randall Hopkins Pick #219 Hanalei CB Kenneth Siefried

We go LB out of the gate. Then we take a perfectly nice WR who looks like he'll settle into something like Ackerman/Neumeyer. A workhorse load carrier who can handle big volume productively, but he's not going to bring real separators. (That's how I talk about 1st/2nd Team All Pro guys apparently.) The Safety Kurogi looks like a good, clean convert to CB. We like the other guys. Good group in the end.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote