View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #33
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

FA1/Draft

We get a future 4th+5th for WR Neumeyer. Sick. We also look at extending backup/young QB Pyatt and he's pissed about playing time. That kind of boxes us in. He's got one year left. If we make a change and play him this year, he's gone. So we flip him out for a guy Outer Banks took in the 5th round last year, QB Xavier Frady. He's not really anything at 9/42 right now. Kind of a nothing burger trade but at least this guy will be around for a few years.

We don't have the space to do anything in FA1, unless we liked a QB. I spent a little too much time trying to find a decent fit. A name for the future, QB Sedrick Alvarez. He was a 1.2 pick a few years back and may have taken a vol hit. The AI won't trade him but he should hit FA in a couple years with the right mix of good bars and not all around studliness that makes him useful and in our price range.

There are a few others but nothing that seems worth the contortions at the moment. It's coming though. Now probably is the time. I'm just not sure we line up.

We sim through to the draft without having really done much.

Code:
Pick #27 Hanalei S Sherdrick Flannery Pick #32 Hanalei S Timothy Bordley Pick #46 Hanalei ILB Donald Reynolds Pick #77 Hanalei C Mercury Fariman Pick #96 Hanalei G Winfred Eliopoulos Pick #128 Hanalei OLB Calvin Hughes Pick #160 Hanalei WR Oscar Arredondo Pick #192 Hanalei WR Raymond Finley Pick #224 Hanalei P Lukas Battle

We've got an extra first in this draft from one of those past deals. It's at 1.27 and we really like two safeties. They're both 6'4" and we might lose Ted Matthews so I just talk myself into going safety-safety with our two 1sts. They also both look like monster zone bar guys. I'm not sure it's one of the things we've been messing with or not, but our safeties in this career have been crap zone bar guys. Matthews in particular has a big overall rating and a lot of big bars, but we've tried to put him in a buzz role because of a low zone bar. My guess is safeties and their zone bars are really one of those WR and route running things. It's likely just some basic FOF math, take your vitamins stuff that there's no need to get cute with.

Then we go LB-C-G-LB to completely play to our skill-chasing non-tendencies. We'll get use out of all of these guys. If the C can take weight, we might play him at G. We may end up doing that with a couple guys. Just play some highly rated C types at G spots and try to save a little cash there. I'm definitely coming around to believing that OL play is extremely important. I'm hopeful we can luck our way to an LT at some point.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote