View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 08:15 AM   #76
revrew
Team Chaplain

The Dragons' Disastrous First Quarter
Dick Grayson, sports reporter, Des Moines Register

I look back now at the glowing column I wrote after the Des Moines Dragons' season-opening victory, and I can't help but wonder if I jinxed the team.

Since that opening win, the Dragons have dropped three straight, have stumbled into becoming the worst offense in the NFL, and the young QB I praised now appears to have been a one-hit wonder.

Yes, the gloom lies heavy over the Dragons like a fog wafting up from the Des Moines River into the East Village. And even while sit here at Zombie Burger and rap out these words, I fear it’s the Dragons who, without captain, my captain Nathaniel Witt, have become the walking dead.

Two, glaring, statistical realities have marred the season thus far: The Dragons are dead last in points scored per game at a paltry 10.8 per contest, and the Dragons are almost dead last in turnover margin, having lost seven more than they've gained through four games.

Yet not everything I wrote in that first column is off target. Dragons MLB Dale Griffin is playing like an All-Star, on pace for a whopping 168 tackles on the season. Safety Mitch Plante is outstanding in a secondary and a defense that is stifling opponents, ranked #2 in the league in yards allowed.

But where, oh, where will the Dragons find some offense? After the opening victory against Green Bay, the running game has completely gone to sleep, and young QB Bart Dubord has managed a mere 3 TDs … on the season.

After last year's 9-7 winning record, I think Iowa fans came to expect the Dragons would be competitive, even with the all-Iowa angle owner Jack Ledger insists upon. But to win in this league, you need playmakers, and outside of the injured rookie kick returner Calvin Minnig, the Dragons really didn't add any in the offseason.

If the Dragons are going to break the jinx, it's going to take more than we've seen from the squad so far. But with Nathaniel Witt sidelined for most of the season, perhaps the most we can hope for is Iowa high schools and universities to produce some playmakers for the high draft picks we're likely to "earn" this year.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote