View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #87
revrew
Team Chaplain

The Three-Quarters Surge
Dick Grayson, sports reporter, Des Moines Register

My, how four straight victories can change the feel of a season.

The Des Moines Dragons now sit at 7-5, 2nd in NFC North behind upstart 8-4 Green Bay. The Dragons are currently holding the NFC's top wild card spot … for now.

What is it about QB Nathaniel Witt that inspires such performances from the rest of the team? Because the Dragons have been en fuego since his return, yet very little of that credit can be attributed to him.

The offense is still sputtering, ranking 26th in yards gained and 29th in NFL in scoring, with a grand total of 9 passing TDs in 12 games. Truthfully, Des Moines would be dead last in total points were it not for defensive touchdowns.

The #2 ranked defense, however, has come to bat for the team in recent weeks – stiff against the run (#5 in ypc) and devastating vs. the pass (#2 in ypa and total yardage).

Looking ahead, the next four opponents have a combined losing record, and with two NFC North tilts against the two teams behind them in the division standings, the Dragons hold their fate in their own hands.

Can Witt and the Dragon D power their way to the playoffs after such a shaky start? Time will tell if this recent run of success is a true resurgence … or just a temporary power surge.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote