View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #98
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

CWA Red, White, and Bruise
Monday, July 4, 1983
Lexington, Kentucky
Attendance: 23,000 (Sell Out)

--Lance Russell opens the show by running down the card for the event. (B-, 74)

--Wendell Cooley def. Hercules Hernandez w/Adrian Street in 3:46 by pinfall following botched interference from Street. (C-, 56) Street attempted to pass a pair of brass knucks to Hercules. It was caught by Cooley, who hit Hercules, and hit the Wildcat Slam for the win.

--The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express come out and hype their upcoming Total Elimination title defense versus the Midnight Express and the Fabulous Ones. Morton and Gibson promise the fans they will become the first CWA World Tag Team champions. (B, 79)

Non-title match
--Super Destroyer #2 w/Super Destroyer #1 def. Bobby Eaton in 7:12 by pinfall following a Bicycle Kick. (B-, 75) After the match, Super Destroyer #1 tells the crowd that there may be no Missouri Heavyweight champion after tonight but he will leave with a title. (C, 65)

--Meng w/Jimmy Hart def. Koko Ware by pinfall following a Jimmy Hart distraction of referee Jerry Calhoun, allowing Rick Rude to come in and give Koko the Rude Awakening and leading to the pin for Meng. (B-, 74)

--’Dr. Death’ Steve Williams comes out for an interview with Lance Russell. Williams says he is looking forward to becoming the first CWA American champion and warns Super Destroyer #2 to stay away from the ring. (A, 92)

--Randy Savage, Manny Fernandez, and Jim Cornette are interviewed by Tony Schiavone. Manny says that he doesn’t mind bleeding if it means that his partner can drop the flying elbow on Lawler or Dundee. Savage reminds Dundee to not get caught napping during the match, referring to his win over Dundee at the Night of Champions in May with help from Fernandez. (B, 79)

Mid-America Title/Missouri Heavyweight Title Unification Match
--The Super Destroyer def. ‘Dr. Death’ Steve Williams in 14:01 by pinfall following a failed shoulder block into the ringpost by Williams and ensuing Superplex by Super Destroyer. (B, 81) The Super Destroyer wins the CWA American Title.

--The Midnight Express and Jim Cornette come out and hype what Cornette calls the most unfair match in the history of professional wrestling, masterminded by the half-brained dimwits Eddie Marlin and Jerry Jarrett. (B-, 73)

--The Fabulous Ones are then called out by Lance Russell. Stan Lane and Steve Keirn say that even though the Rock ‘n’ Roll Express are great champions and good friends, you get in the ring to win and friendships are out of the window, especially when titles are on the line. (B, 77)

Total Elimination Match for the the World Tag Team Titles
--The Fabulous Ones def. The Midnight Express w/Jim Cornette and the Rock ‘n’ Roll Express by pinfall in 17:18 after Stan Lane’s Savate Kick on Dennis Condrey. (A, 91) The order of elimination was Robert Gibson, Norvell Austin, and Steve Keirn, which left Ricky Morton, Stan Lane, and Dennis Condrey.

--Lane savate kicked Morton to the shock of the fans in attendance and Condrey covered to eliminate Morton. Lane then savate kicked a celebrating Condrey for the pinfall. The Fabulous Ones are the first CWA World Tag Team champions.

--After the match, as the Midnight Express left ringside, Lane offered a handshake to Morton as Keirn grabbed the belts and Gibson looked on, telling Morton it wasn’t personal. Morton walked away from the handshake. (B+, 86) The Fabulous Ones celebrate their win to a few boos from the Lexington crowd. (B, 81)

--Jerry Lawler and Bill Dundee come out to hype their match against Savage and Fernandez. Lawler tells Cornette he has another thing coming if he’s trying to pull something tonight. Dundee says that after tonight, Cornette might need a neckbrace after a piledriver by he and Lawler. (A+, 100)

--Junkyard Dog hypes his title unification match versus Buzz Sawyer in the main event. JYD tells the fans that they will not leave this arena disappointed as he leaves the arena with two belts. (A+, 100)

--Bill Dundee and Jerry Lawler def. Manny Fernandez w/Jim Cornette and Randy Savage by pinfall in 18:20. (B+, 85) As Lawler, Savage, and referee Jerry Calhoun were incapacitated, Jim Cornette unzipped his tennis racket and handed a cloth to Manny. Dundee low-blowed Manny and put the cloth on Manny’s face, putting him to sleep. Dundee then ducked a tennis racket to the head by an interfering Cornette and put the cloth on his face and put him to sleep. Dundee then pinned Manny after Calhoun recovered, leaving Dundee the only man standing with bodies everywhere.

--Buzz Sawyer cuts a promo and tells the fans that he has been the best wrestler in CWA since he arrived five months ago. He said nothing changes tonight and he will walk out as the first CWA world champion. (A+, 100)

AWA Southern Heavyweight Title/NWA Central States Heavyweight Title Unification Match
--Junkyard Dog def. Buzz Sawyer w/Jimmy Hart in 22:49 by pinfall after the Thump in a match that featured a hot crowd and exceptional wrestling. (A+, 99) Junkyard Dog wins the new CWA World Heavyweight Title. After the match, JYD celebrates his victory with the fans. (A+, 100)

Show Rating: A+, 96

--Incredible show with another A+ match involving Buzz Sawyer. The Total Elimination tag team match was the highest rated match in 1983 for any of the participants involved and the highest for any regular tag teams so far.

--I hope people don’t mind the expanded storytelling in some of these matches but I feel some of the endings deserve an explanation, such as the Total Elimination tag team title match. I’m not as talented as many of the folks over on the TEW boards but I picture some of these endings going down in 1983.

--Before the jump to ‘Cult’, JYD was up for renegotiation and told me that CWA was too small for him and I was ready to let him walk. The original plan was to put over Buzz while JYD walked away and for Buzz to continue his reign of terror on the roster and rev up for another big feud with Dundee and then Lawler. The move up was apparently good enough for JYD as he agreed to a written deal, hence the title change. JYD is by far the most over worker on the roster.

--I want to declare war on other companies but Jerry Jarrett won’t let me. He wants to keep good relationships with other companies, except the WWF, and has blocked any attempts at changing those relationships. I can’t even get a hostile relationship. Nothing.

--In other news of the day, Dave Righetti pitched a perfect game against the Red Sox.

CWA Title Roll Call
**CWA World Heavyweight, Junkyard Dog (won July 1983)
100 prestige

**CWA World Tag Team, The Fabulous Ones (won July 1983)
100 prestige

**CWA American, The Super Destroyer (won July 1983)
95 prestige

**CWA Television, Bobby Eaton (won June 1983)
55 prestige
tucking fypo is offline   Reply With Quote