View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #11
Umbrella
High School Varsity

1948-49 NEW YORK KNICKS

OFFSEASON

Four new teams joined the league; Rochester Royals, Indianapolis Jets, Ft. Wayne Pistons, and Minneapolis Lakers.

Closer to home, our head coach Michael Adams decided to retire at 66. In addition, our scout and two assistants had the contracts run out, so the staff was depleted. I hired Ahmed Nelson to a four year contract as our new head coach. He was the head coach of Detroit during the 46-47 season, and served as an assistant in Providence last year.

We need to expose 1 player to the expansion draft, and the only player who wasn’t a contributor last season was Vance. He was the last player picked in the expansion draft by Rochester.

In the rookie draft, we have the 12th and final pick in both rounds. A decent center, George Glamack, fell to us in the first round. He should be a good rebounder, as well as a shot blocker for us. The down side is he is 29 years old. The other downside I didn’t know until I looked up some info on him. His nickname was “The Blind Bomber” because he had terrible eyesight. He had to use the lines on the court to figure out where he was because he couldn’t see the basket. It’s actually amazing that he was a decent player, and one of the few retired numbers at UNC. Not much available in the second round, so I took a mediocre PF Odie Spears. He probably won’t get much playing time, but he was one of the premier free throw shooters of his time. Shockingly, St. Louis picked Joe Grabowski over Mikan with the #1 pick.

For free agency, I don’t see any glaring needs, other than a little depth at SG. I would like to try and see if Morgenthaler and Norlander will re-sign with us and try to make another title run. I don’t have a lot of cap space to work with, so we’ll see what happens. Morganthaler was asking more than we had cap space for, so he’s out. I offered a contract to Norlander, and also to SG Ossie Schectman, who is a two time all star and last season’s assist leader. I was way overbid immediately by teams with much more cap space. I offered a 1 year contract to undrafted SG Fred Lewis. He signed, and surprisingly, Schectman signed as well. In real life, Schectman has the honor of scoring the first official basket in NBA history. I feel like I need more depth at SF, especially not knowing if Smawley will be what he was before his injury, so I offered undrafted rookie SF Estes Parham a 2 year deal. We were overbid, so I decided to see if Mullens wanted to come back for another season. He immediately signed a 1 year deal at the minimum. The last thing I wanted was a big man who could defend in the post. I offered a 2 year deal to PF Virgil Vaughan who signed with us. Norlander signed with Fort Wayne for the largest contract in the league, and Morgenthaler signed with Indianapolis for the second largest contract.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote